Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Water leakage - Inside passenger side, AC Drain?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Angry Water leakage - Inside passenger side, AC Drain?

Hi All,

I just bought a 1997 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4, with only 98,000 original milles, it looks like new, excellent conditions look like its been used for a couple of time, but I found an issue tewo weeks ago, when I was cleaning the carpet found a lot of water on the rear seat floor passenger side (RH), I look on the internet and found a lot of info about it, also found a youtube video, basically drilled a hole on the evaporator and cleaned with a piece a wire, did not looked any strange material other than water, then I putted the cap with silicon on the drilled hole, but after two hours drive found a lot of water on the same place.....now, I do not know what to do, any suggestions???? help please, I live in McAllen TX, very, very hot place, can not drive with out AC specially with leather seats...I do not whant hemorroids on my ***!!!!!
Old 04-24-2011, 10:31 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4LI6

had the same prob on my 98, even cleared the drain like you did let it run in the driveway for a while and no water. thought i had it licked, only to have ALOT of water on the pass. side after road trip. turns out the drain is very short, and when in motion the water runs back on the outside of the drain tube and through the cheap foam grommet on the firewall. unfortunately, the brilliant engineers decided to locat this drain inside the frame rail. It is not accessible, unless you do some cutting to the wheel well. There is a video online somewhere, youtube i think that shows you where to cut, how to install a drain tube extension and seal the grommet. it is an easy fix, less than an hour and less than $10 in parts. worked for me. good luck
Old 04-24-2011, 11:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Yeah, why in the hell did they put the drain in the stinking frame rail? I think they moved it in the 99 and later years.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:13 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4LI6

i would love to hear the explanation from jeep...
did you get it fixed? if not i can take pictures of where i cut. i only cut out about 3"x4", but it has to be in precisely the right spot
Old 04-25-2011, 08:31 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0
Default Hi, please send pictures

Originally Posted by gclrick
i would love to hear the explanation from jeep...
did you get it fixed? if not i can take pictures of where i cut. i only cut out about 3"x4", but it has to be in precisely the right spot

Please send me the pictures if you can, so I can have an idea where to cut, my truck smells like a wet dog!!!!