Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Watch outs when buying a Cherokee???

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Watch outs when buying a Cherokee???

Hey all,

I was hoping that y'all could help me out...
I am looking to get a cherokee for my Girlfriend down here in Texas. I want to get a used one (04-07) and spend less than $12,000. It would be mostly for on-road action but I might bring her to a Jeep Jamboree or take her off road once or twice a year. I definately need 4x4 because I don't think I will be in texas for more than 2 years and everywhere else in the US has to deal with snow (not to mention the previous off-road statements). My girlfriend was exclusively looking at libertys before this but I thought I might get her to broaden her horizons if you guys (and girls) had good things to say about the Cherokee. Any opinions and "things to look for" when purchasing a used Cherokee would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Justin
Old 08-31-2008, 01:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

If you are looking in those years I would seriously consider a Liberty. Not trying to **** off any of you GC guys but the newer GC just look breakable. Maybe and overland edition would be nice but pricey. You can pick up and 04 Liberty for under 10 now and the 3.7L V6 aint a bad lil motor. I have rented two of them on road trips and I loved the short wheel base. Plus turning radious and a lil power to boot.

Also I am not getting your Title???

Ofcourse you could get her the best vehicle of all time a Jeep Cherokee. You will have to shop pre 01 though as that was there last year to be made.

Last edited by XJ Stryker; 08-31-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Comanche
Engine: I6 4.0L

my mom had a 06 liberty for 2 years she put 40,000 miles on it and it never once had any problems its the vehicle i learned to drive on and i loved it lots of power and like stryker said the short wheel base its great
Old 08-31-2008, 10:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

So are you looking for a Cherokee or a Grand Cherokee?

Here some info about '99 - '04 Grand Cherokees

Best site for info on '99 - '04 Grand Cherokees.
http://www.wjjeeps.com/

Gears
I6 w/o tow pkg=3.55:1
I6 w/tow pkg or V8=3.73:1

Differentials (stock)
http://www.wjjeeps.com/tcases.htm

Axels
Rear axle
V8 models are D44a
I6 models are D35

Front axle
I6 and V8 are D30

Things to watch for.
-Blend Doors on Limited models with automatic climate controls.
http://www.wjjeeps.com/climate.htm
Check the climate control system for any codes.
To do this, press and hold the a/c and recirc buttons while turning the left temp control **** one click clockwise.
Codes will then display.
You're looking for any blend door codes. I think they are in the 20's and 50's.
This is a very common problem on WJs with automatic climate controls.
Cold air blowing (usually on the passenger side only) when the temp is set on hot is a sure sign of blend door problems.
It doesnt cost much to buy the parts yourself and do it yourself. You have to remove the dash though. If you take it to the dealer its a $1000.00+ job easy. To buy the parts yourself is about $120.00-$150.00.

- Warped Rotors with Teves Calipers
http://www.wjjeeps.com/brakes.htm
They changed them in '02 so some '02 models are not prone to the problem. '03 and '04 are not prone to it.

New calipers are on the left. Old ones are on the right.

- Options year by year for 1999-2004
http://www.wjjeeps.com/newoptions.htm

- Transfer cases:
NOTE: NP stands for New Process, NV stands for New Venture. They switched names in the 90s. Chrysler owned New Process; when they sold them off, they changed the name.
http://www.wjjeeps.com/tcases.htm

1. Quadra-Trac I - NV147 -
On-demand; utilizes a gerotor coupling for improved response; high-range only (does not include neutral or low-range positions).

2. Quadra-Trac II - NV247 -
On-demand; includes low-range (2:72:1); single lever transfer case mode operation.

3. Selec-Trac - NV-242 -
Full-time; two speed with shift on the fly; includes low-range (2:72:1); allows for two- or four-wheel-drive mode; full or part-time 4WD; single lever transfer case mode operation.

4. Quadra-Drive - NV247 -
On-demand; utilizes a gerotor coupling in the Quadra-Trac II transfer case and in the Vari-Lok front and rear progressive axles to send torque to the front driveshaft and/or from side-to-side within each axle when wheel slippage occurs; includes low-range (2:72:1) single-lever transfer case mode operation.

Hope that helps you out some.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:33 PM

Default Looking to buy also

When I want to know about a vehicle, the first place I go is the message boards. Solid info from real owners. I am replacing my 97 F150 with something more family friendly and better on gas. A co-worker is selling his 2002 Grand Cherokee Limited for $8,000. 85,000 miles, new front end work, new (rebuilt) engine, excellent condition, well taken care of. I am looking to know if I will be happy with it. Common problems I should look for or expect, safety concerns?
fireftrbuck@yahoo.com
Old 09-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

This is good info. Short story, wife wants a cherokee. So now I am shopping. Really like the 04 for sitting in nice seats. we are only looking at the high end ones. Kinda torn by the new body style. bigger engine, Seem to drive about the same although it looks like the 05s are wider wheel base not sure. Have not found a place yet that talks about 05s and newer. Not that I am afraid of the 4.7 had one before and had no griefs at all in a durango.