Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

ugh what a DAY....starter maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Just That Awesome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default ugh what a DAY....starter maybe?

So my 10wk old German Shepherd had to be put down this morning after a seizure and when I tried to leave the vet my jeep wouldn't start.

On monday I came out in the morning and everything would come on, but no crank. Not even an attempt at a click or crank. I figure the starter went out cause its looks archiec and I already had to replace the starter and FDC cables from corrosion.

Anyway a few hours later it started, but starter sounded sluggish. It has started since but seemed sluggish everytime. Now nothing again. I figure I gotta have it towed to my garage and bench test the starter.

Since my pup cost me a few hundred this weekend I'm tapped so I figure before I go buying parts I would throw this up here in case there is something I don't know about.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:44 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 5.2

Sorry to hear about your pup that really sucks. My starter was sounding sluggish and not working all the time, i replaced my battery as the starter was done less then 6 months ago. I have had no problem with it starting now that i put a brand new battery in the jeep.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Just That Awesome

I should have mentioned its a new battery, that's my fault. Its maybe two months old and everything has power. Battery also passed the tests. And has always started strong even in very cold temps.

As for the pup its pretty rough. Neurological so we contacted the breeder since he is AKC and all that. Hoping they work with me. He was all black...."D-BO".
Old 12-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Just That Awesome

So its home now. Here's what I notice:

Key on, everything comes on as it should. Air bag and abs light stay on like they always do and the seatbelt dings at me. Soon as I try and crank it, I hear nothing and the heater lcd (its always on in winter) goes dark until I release key and at that time it comes back on and the seatbelt dings again. It does this everytime.

The abs and airbag lights never go out, neither do the interior lights. No power loss there. Battery is fine, tested with another and everything.

Last month I had an issue where power would vanish completely if you tried to crank, until I jiggled the starter wire at the battery then power instantly came back. Do this a few times and it would start. I replaced the starter cable and the cable to the fdc and it never happened again.

This isn't the same issue, just mentioning it as its similar.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:52 PM
Just That Awesome

Is there a way I can "bench test" the starter on the truck? How hard are they to remove? Looks like a nightmare
Old 12-09-2010, 09:10 AM
Just That Awesome

Bump! I would just go try it all but the tow guy dropped it in my complex's parking lot and not in my garage and its too fn cold