Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Trusted local chain garage or Dealer for following maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Trusted local chain garage or Dealer for following maintenance

Hello,

For a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7, which of the following maintenance repairs can be done at a trusted big local chain garage instead of the dealer which charges almost double or more?

1. Engine Oil and Filter (Mopar at Dealer vs Castrol at chain)
2. Brake caliper pin lubrication
3. Inspection of brake linings
4. PCV valve change
5. Axles (Differentials), front and rear oil change
6. Parking brake, what does that mean? What do they check?

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2015, 01:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You can do all of that for a fraction of the cost. Brake pin lubrication and the other stuff are upscale things that are quick and easy but cost you a bunch. Change the oil and filter, inspect the brakes and be done with it. It pays to know how a vehicle works and how to repair it, it will keep you from getting taken advantage of.

Last edited by Bustedback; 04-27-2015 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:33 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

My Dad told me when I was 16 that I'd be driving a car for the rest of my life so I should learn the basics of how to fix the easy stuff myself. The first thing he had me learn to do was change a tire. From there I went to oil changes and replacing spark plugs, air filters, and wiper blades. After that I was bitten and couldn't get enough! The average oil change at a chain store will cost you over $50 and you can do it yourself for $25. A synthetic oil change at Valvoline will cost you $85 and I do it myself for $45 including a Mopar filter! And Valvoline takes the waste oil!

Personally, I can't see where any amount of mechanical labor is worth $150/hour except for electronics work on today's systems. Even that is overpriced. Many high schools and adult education groups have courses for the simple maintenance stuff or even learn from a trusted friend. One of the first things I taught my wife was how to change a tire. She didn't like it, but she learned.

You can save thousands of dollars over your lifetime doing your own work. I got so deeply involved I've built racing motors and rebuilt transmissions. I enjoyed the work and got a lot of satisfaction out of it.

Last edited by dave1123; 04-27-2015 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

I don't trust anyone else working on my vehicles. I'm a mechanic and I don't trust other mechanics. I had the tires installed by the East Indian tire monkeys. They did a horrible job balancing the tires and did not use torque wrench on the lugs. I rebalanced them and torqued the lugs to spec myself. I replaced my water pump yesterday for the total of fifty bucks. I have connections at a few parts houses, so I get a deal on parts. Wrenching on your own stuff saves money, makes you more familiar with your vehicle, and makes you feel good.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

another vote here for learning and fixing your own vehicle. in april 2013 i turned 16 and got my license, 3 months later i overheated my ZJ and wrecked the cylinder heads. i saved up about 450 bucks, bought reman'd cylinder heads (5.2 V8) and all the gaskets and other little stuff, and read. ALOT. then one weekend i tore into it. got the new heads put on and everything put back together. a few months later the transmission went out and i decided not to fix it, and that motor is still running strong in a friend's dodge truck.

i can only imagine what that repair wouldve cost if i had to go to a shop, probably a couple grand at least, and i would have no idea if it was done right or if they cut corners.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Engine: 4.7

Ditto. All these guys have nailed it. When I was 20something, I left the east coast for California in a 56 Chevy Sedan Delivery. I knew a little about vehicle maintenance and repair when I left. After a couple years on the road I learned a whole lot more. I even put a clutch in said vehicle , on the side of the road, on my own, with the tools I had with me, having never done it before. I am still no mechanic and vehicles are a lot more sophisticated than they once were, but do as much as you can by yourself. Learn as much as you can. There is nothing you need doing that you can't do with a little research and effort. You will feel a whole lot better about yourself if you do and you will be able to help others as you learn. We are all here to help if you need it.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi for differential and transfer case fluid changes, is it better I buy the fluids from the dealer and bring it to the garage? They told me I don't need too...?

Transfer Case:

Automatic Transmission Fluid

Mopar® ATF+4, type 9602
(p/n 05013457AA quart MSRP $8.75)
or
(p/n 05013458AA gallon MSRP $34.15)
(***Usage of other fluids/lubricants is not recommended***)
Transfer case drain plug torque: 15-25 ft. lbs/20-34 N·m

Differentials:

All models, all axles:

Mopar® SAE 75W-140 Synthetic (API-GL5)
Mopar p/n 04874469 (MSRP $33.50 per quart)

Electronic axle notes:
Electronic (ELSD) axles require 118 ml (4 ounces) of Limited Slip Additive be added to the lubricant. (Mopar additive p/n 04318060AB $10.50 MSRP 4 oz. bottle)
ELSD axles are standard with Quadra-Drive II.
SRT8 axles DO NOT require Limited Slip Additive.

Axle cover bolt torque: Front and rear axle drain plug torque: 44 ft. lbs/60 N·m
Front axle cover bolts: 41 ft. lbs/56 N·m
Rear axle cover bolts: 30 ft. lbs/41 N·m