Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Transmission HELP Family and I 4hrs from home

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Transmission HELP Family and I 4hrs from home

Hi All,
Just bought a 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited today. It has 79500 miles. Drove fine....we are about 3 hrs into driving at freeway speeds and the transmission light comes on then shifting gets wierd. It would down shift from OD to 4th then back then rough shift...... we made it to a hotel and now I'm not sure what to do. Any help would be appreciated as we are stuck...... or can i drive it?
Old 04-09-2010, 11:41 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Obviously the first thing to check is leaks and puddles under the Jeep, then check the fluids, all of them as it only takes an extra 2 minutes.

Any other lights come on on the dash? Be safe if you are working on it in the dark and I hope this all works out for you.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:46 PM

No leaks that I can see... we literally just pulled into the hotel and parked it. Don't see anything obvious. This is my first jeep. I'm not even sure where the closest place to get fluid would be..... it's almost midnight here so nothing is open anyway..... can i rist driving it to find some fluid if it seems low?
Old 04-10-2010, 03:56 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: v8 5.9L
Default double check

check the fluid level, and the color if its not brigth red it needs replacement, check for metal flakes or particles in the oil, if it has them be careful to drive it, because you can toast the tranny, if the green ligth is the computer shut off the od because the transmission overheated, remember the proper way to check the oil is to put it on neutral with the engine iddling, then check the fluid, if its low and has the proper color just refill, and just to be sure if you dont know if the tranny has been serviced, change the oil, filter and gasket, you are supposed to change it every year depending in he use, i think the manual recomends every two, but is an inexpensive way to mantain the tranny, if you change the oil, dont over torque the bolts, and youll need like 8 or 10 liters of oil, my 5.9 uses almost 10, ooohhhh dont overfill and use ATF dexron mercon 2 or 3 oil. hope to be helpfull