Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Transmission Gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Transmission Gremlins

Hey Everyone,

I'm new here and have a question I can’t seem to figure out on my own and could use a little guidance. I have a 99 2wd Grand Cherokee, I’ve been having some issues with my trans and don’t know if some of the stuff is normal. It’s a 4.0 auto with 130,000 miles. The issue is that when I’m driving with the air conditioning on the trans can’t seem to stay in one gear, it shift erratically and doesn’t seem to have the power. When the air is off it works perfectly and there’s no problem with the trans or the power.

Another issue is when I’m driving with the air on in cruise control if I go up a slight hill the trans shifts down, the air stops blowing and the overdrive light comes on. It will stay in overdrive until I turn the button off. I don’t know if that’s by design or a problem. The last issue, and I’m sure it is a problem is that if it sits a day or two I need to let it run a couple of minutes or the trans won’t go into gear, it slips. I know I have some problems but I don’t know how to fix it or where to start, do I need a new trans? I thought it might be a vacuum issue or maybe the shift solenoid in the trans may be bad I don’t know.

Any help or clarity would be very helpful, I want to resolve these issues because I love the Jeep. I’ve had 4 other Jeep’s but they were all sticks.

Thanks in advance,
Icebru
Old 08-28-2021, 05:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Welcome!

Definitely NOT normal behavior. I'd be looking for a vacuum leak. Lots of info here.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+smoke+machine