Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

trans issue?.no slipping.shifting issues sometimes?..sensor?.electrical?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0HO
Default trans issue?.no slipping.shifting issues sometimes?..sensor?.electrical?

I just bought another Cherokee, 1991 Cherokee 4.0 4x4 auto...very excited great deal on it too because it has some issue with the trans. I bought it expecting it was in need of a trans but on the way home from buying it the trans was fine?..the fluids still nice and red, the fluid level is good, does not slip at all .I drove her home after purchase 40 minute drive 20 was in bumper to bumper 100 degree city traffic, the other 20 minutes was just highway. The previous owner said the trans started having trouble going into 2nd gear but he found if he drove gentle and was light on the gas it would shift, he also said a couple times when he was cruizing at about 35mph it would drop down to 1st for no reason and scare the sh@t out of him. He suggested I tow it and said it was a coin toss driving it home but it was still legal so I took my chances. It drove fine, no sign of trans problems, shifted into second gear everytime even after sitting in hot city traffic. Once I got her into my nabor hood I started testing her out a little bit, I came to a complete stop twice and noticed when I accelerated harder it felt as if it was starting off in second gear?...trans fluid is fine and at recommended level. I heard there is an electrical device under the dash on the passangers side that might need replacing, also that trans switch on the dash could be bad, or pump inside trans is going?...I dont know much about transmitions so Im hoping somebody could shine some more light on this problem?...is the trans bad?...what are some likely issues causing this problem?..what can I do to help pin point the problem?..if there are some easy parts worth replacing what are they called, where are they located,how much do they cost?...Im making a trip to the junk yard this week and they have lots of Jeeps Im hoping its a cheap electrical device I can easily replace so i can start enjoying my Jeep lol but only time will tell...any tips or info will help, thanks alot!
Old 07-29-2010, 03:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

there are three sensor/solenoid type deal just above the tranny filter which is in the tranny pan. Might be a good thing to pick up from the JY. Other than that I am not sure what to tell you.

I know there are some engine sensors that will make the vehicle act weird and buck like it is down shifting namely the CPS (crankshaft position sensor)

But i can't tell you for sure what your problem is from your description. But Photobucket does let you post videos. Lets see and hear the problem and maybe we can help you more.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:17 PM

thanks I give that a try, hopefully I get her fixed this weekend...anything else I should try?..I heard there is a transmition control box under the passangers side under the dash, also the power trans switch could be bad?
Old 08-02-2010, 11:28 PM

ok so I took her for another ride just to see if the trans would act up "note I havent touched anything yet since purchase drove her home and parked her", she wouldnt shift into second, even if I tryed manually shifting it was just stuck in first, I drove her around the naborhood until she got warmed up and then she started shifting fine, I took her out on the main street and tested her out a little heavy on the gas, and she shifted perfect 1st,2nd,3rd then I slowed down since speed limit is 40mph...does this help narrow down what it could be at all, Im hoping maybe the TPS sensor reacted to the heat..I have another TPS sensor and power trans switch so thats goin in asap