Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Transmission Electrical Issues

Old 04-18-2014, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Transmission Electrical Issues

Hey everyone,
First post, new to the site, thanks for having me. So I got my 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.7 a little over a month ago. Saw it as a steal since it only had 34,000 miles on it! Unfortunately, this thing might have been so under-driven that it was neglected a bit, so I've been having a couple of issues.
I was driving it last week and attempting to accelerate from a stop light when it seemed like it was started out in 2nd gear as it started off slow. That continued through a couple of stop and go's, but eventually it downshifted and then it was stuck in 1st gear. I remembered this same issue occurring in my Mom's 2004 Chrysler 300M so I pulled over, shut the vehicle off and turned it back on and it continued through the gears fine after that, but it has been reoccurrring ever since.
I believe it to be an electrical issues since it comes and go's and isn't consistent. I found this video regarding the shift circuit and was wondering if this would help me or if anyone has other ideas that could help me out. Obviously don't want to have a tranny rebuilt at 34,000 miles. Thanks.

Mike
Old 04-21-2014, 08:00 AM

Check oil level in gearbox.. sounds very much like it could be this.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:08 AM

Default Update

So an update, I performed the steps in the video and cleaned the shift control module pretty thoroughly. After doin this, it worked perfectly. No shift issues, check engine light is off and the slap shift worked again. As of this morning though, I got off the highway and it was starting in 2nd gear again. Obviously what I did fixed it, but it's possible this part just needs to be replaced. I will check the gear box oil level though just to be sure. Thanks.