Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Transmision Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Transmision Cooler

I have a 96 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0L. The transmission cooler lines to the radiator are very pitted and rusty with minor leaks. I want to address this the best way for my build. I'm building a daily driver/week end warrior with a 4" lift and 31.5 tires. I was considering a external transmission cooler and eliminate the hook ups to the radiator. For the life of me I can't figure out why jeep would run the cooling lines around the exhaust and oil pan were they would pickup heat but hey! If anyone could share their solutions and maybe some pictures it would be greatly appreciated. This is a Father Daughter build and we have had a lot of fun over the last 6 months. I hope to post some pictures of our progress soon as we have documented just about everything LOL. Thanks guys and I look forward to your reply's
Old 02-22-2017, 09:19 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Keep in mind the trans cooler in the radiator not only cools the fluid, but warms it in the winter or on cold startup. My brother had problems with his Chevy truck because he eliminated the rad cooler for an external one, only to have it not want to shift when it was cold. 90% of the heat in an automatic transmission is produced in the torque converter. You can run steel lines anywhere you want as long as you add flexible sections between the trans and the body. I'd use cupro-nickel lines so they don't rust, EVER! The max pressure you're working with as around 40 psi. The hot fluid is exhausted from the converter and flows back into the case.

On my Chevy 4x4, I put flex hose on the transmission and ran steel pipe down the frame rail to the rad and external cooler. I piped it to the external cooler first to get rid of the most heat before it flows thru the rad. I added a fuel filter in the pressure line for added protection. But that's me. It was easily changed without dropping the pan.

Last edited by dave1123; 02-22-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Thanks Dave, I was wondering what part the radiator played in preheating the trans. and keeping it at a constant temp. I think I'm gonna fab out some new lines to the radiator and try to find a better route. I think that may be the cheapest as well...
Old 02-22-2017, 09:32 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Now that's funny! I was editing as you were replying.