Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Transfer Case Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Transfer Case Problems

I seem to be having a problem with the transfer case on my 2000 Grand Cherokee. I have the Selec-Trac NP242 transfer case, and when it's in 2WD it starts making a metal on metal sound after it warms up, similar to when the brake pads are shot, and if I try to put it in 4WD it sounds like it's having hard time engaging, and the sound get much louder, similar to the sound of chattering hubs that won't fully engage. I know this model does not have that type of hub so I'm assuming this is the transfer case going bad.

I guess the first thing I am going to try is to have the transfer case fluid changed (from the sounds of it I think it could be nearly empty), and if that doesn't fix it I was wondering if I could just pull the front driveshaft out and use it in 2WD for a while, or if that could cause other problems.

I'm getting near 200K miles now so I'd rather not put $1000 or more into this swapping out the entire transfer case, so I was hoping for some other suggestions on things I might try to have keep this thing running a little longer without spending an arm and a leg.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:39 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Cool

The viscous coupling could be failing, if fluid burnt or low it could cause this problem, however if it has been doing it for awhile it may be to late for a fluid change. Fluid change could not hurt. Could find a replacement in the local JY if needed
Old 10-23-2009, 08:50 PM

Thanks, but I thought the Quadra-Trac (NP249) was the model with the viscous coupling?
Old 10-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Cool

My Bad! I didn't have my glasses on...........Change the fluid and see if it helps
Old 10-31-2009, 04:37 PM

I changed the fluid this morning and there was no change. It sounds like a need a new TC.

I'm trying to remove the front driveshaft to see if it's definitely the TC and not something else. The front came out very easily but I can't budge it at the TC end. It seems to be frozen. Is there a trick to breaking this loose? Do I need to heat it up with a torch?