Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Transfer Case (NP242) Fluid Change on a 2000 Grand Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Transfer Case (NP242) Fluid Change on a 2000 Grand Cherokee

Just an FYI to any rookies like me changing the transfer case fluid for the first time (your model year may vary) -

1) You'll need a 10mm hex socket for both the fill and drain plug. I thought it would/might take a standard ratchet (the part that fits into the socket) like many differentials, but after actually getting beneath it to do the work -- and subsequently coming back to this forum to see precisely what I did need -- I had to make a run to the parts store for a 10mm hex socket.

2) You'll need a good funnel that will work in the tight vertical (up and down) space (the transfer case takes regular transmission fluid, not the 75-90W/90W gear oil that comes in the handle bottles for filling your differentials). The standard funnel I picked up in the Wal-Mart oil section simply would not do the job. Rather than run back to the parts store several miles away, I instead went to the nearby Dollar Store and found a long (10 inches or so) tapered funnel that did the trick. Even with that I had to push/bend it up slightly as I was pouring so the fluid would go in the right direction.

More FYI info if you're interested -

Identifying the transfer case.
The repair manual (1993-2000 GC from Haynes) lists four different transfer cases, three of which that use 2.5 pints of fluid and one, the NP242/NV242, that uses 2.9 pints. The one in my 2000 was identified first on-line as the NP242 and later confirmed in the ID plate (located on the backside of the case) this afternoon during the change of fluid. Just more FYI, but the NP and NV simply denotes a change in name of the manufacturer. "New Process (NP)" changed to "New Venture (NV)" at some point. That's what my Google results told me anyway.

Lubricant Type
The repair and owners manual identified the lubricant type as standard Dexron III/Mercon ATF, which I used. Don't let the kids behind the counter at Auto Zone (hey, they were the only parts store open after 8PM) try to tell you different. The "differentials" take the gear oil, the transfer case uses standard ATF -- just not the same standard fluid as the actual transmission in the 2000.

I hope this helps a few folks, if nothing else save a few trips to the store.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:55 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)

Okay, your info is accurate up to a point. My Haynes Repair Manual (1993 - 2004) states use Mopar ATF+4 or equivalent. ATF-3, Dextron III, and Mercon do not have the shear strength additives that ATF+4 does.

The story about New Process and New Venture goes like this. Chrysler's New Process Gear Division was located here in Syracuse, NY, and I've known several people that worked for them. When Chrysler had their financial bail-out by the Fed, The employees of New Process found enough backers to outright purchase the division from Chrysler, therefore starting New Venture Gear. Chrysler continued to buy the transfer cases from them.

When even New Venture had problems, they sold out to Magna Powertrain. Several years ago, the plant and all it's machinery went up for auction. It is now vacant.

It makes me wonder about the availability of these t/cases down the road.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee

Sorry, my manual states very clearly "Dexron III/Mercon automatic transmission fluid". As far as I'm concerned, that info is accurate to the letter.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:18 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)

The point I was trying to make is the same manual but a newer copy has different information. My dealer's parts guy says ATF+4. I personally don't see that it makes much difference in a strictly manual transfer case. Use whatever you want, as long as you use SOMETHING. The NP 208 t/case in my Chevy truck took Dextron and it's the same as an NP/NV 231. The Quardatrac and Quadradrive take special fluid.

I think we're picking nits here. ANY ATF except Ford type 1 should work well.