Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Transfer box problems on 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Transfer box problems on 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland

Hi

I have a problem with a 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland. It started hopping around corners and my local Jeep dealer (in the UK) diagnosed the transfer box. £2000 was the quote and 3 to 5 days to fix. That was on 14-Feb-2012. After three weeks, the Jeep still wasn't fixed so I contacted Jeep customer services. They told me ETA on a transfer box was 01-Apr-2012. Customer service called just over a week ago saying the ETA was now an indeterminate time as the 01-Apr-2012 would not be met. Co-incidentally, I was on holiday in Florida so called a local Jeep dealer. He said there were no transfer boxes in the whole US and there were 28 on back order with no idea when they would be supplied. Now I am back in the UK, I am resigned that I have a big problem so am looking for solutions, ideas or suggestions.

Martin
Old 04-09-2012, 08:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Hi Martin..

I'm assuming you have the NP247 fulltime transfercase. The viscous coupler is the problem within it, not allowing the front end to differentiate causing your front end hop symptom.

Did the shop look into replacing the VC instead of ordering a complete transfer?

Do you have an option of sourcing an NP242 transfercase in the UK? Or ordering one from Jeep as a replacement? With the 242 you'll gain the 2wd option as well as fulltime and part time 4wd. You'll probably need a new 242 specific shifter and shifter bezel with this option.

This should be a simple swap if you can source those parts.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:11 AM

Hi OverlandZJ

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have the Quadradrive setup which I assume is the the NP247. When the shop first said the transfer box was at fault, I asked if a rebuild was an option but they said that it would cost just as much to rebuild as replace. However, given the current state of affairs, a rebuild might be back on the cards. Are the VC's readily available?

The NP242 is an option and one I will ask the shop when I talk to them tomorrow.

Martin.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

I'm not familiar with why the backorder is in effect on the 247.. it could very well be an issue with aquiring the VC or other components.. maybe another call to Jeep customer service?

But typically the VC's are available as it's a wearable item prone to failure.. just like it's predecessor the NP249 (in the older Grand's)

Look into the 242... it's a better case and has no VC.. so no need to repeat this frustration in the future. I'd be more inclined to aquire a 242 and have it shipped across the pond, these are not too difficult to find and rebuild parts are available. (i just rebuilt one last summer).
Old 04-09-2012, 05:36 PM

Thumbs up 2004 transfer case

I also had a problem simmiliar to your's ie: when pulling into parking spot and tighter than normal cornering. 1st is your tranfer case a NP247???? if so (the only selections are 4HI, Nuetral, and 4LOW) so then your problem lies in the viscus clutch for the front drive line. You can remove the front prop shaft to confirm the problem lies in the case.Your transfer case has a pump and clutch system to make cornering easier because of full time 4wheel drive, as the clutch pack wears it will not slip as it should creating a jerking and locking of the front axle when cornering. I recently replaced my case myself. Not a bad job only about 3.5 hours. the following link is a remanufacturing plant in South Carolina USA that will sell you a remanufactured transfer case that should take care of your problem. http://www.transfercases.com The only other thing is you must "MUST" use MOPAR transfer case fluid specific to the NP247. Also extremley important MAKE SURE ALL YOUR TIRES ARE OF SAME MANUFACTURER AND SIZE cause this too may also cause the same problem. Mine works perfect.. Good Luck...
Old 04-10-2012, 11:17 AM

Hi benjie40

I guess my transfer case is a 247 as I only have 4Hi, Neutral and 4Lo selections. If I remove the front prop, the jumping should go away as there is no longer any drive to the front wheels, or should I be looking for something else? Have you any ideas of the costs from the transfer case remanufacturing plant. I would have to get them to ship to the UK which is all getting costly, especially if they want my transfer case in exchange.

Martin.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:06 PM

Hey Martinshaw, yes, if you remove the front prop shaft it should definetly go away. the phone number to call transfer case express is 1-800-683-7623. I have a shop in the USA so the total cost was $795.00 US dollars including shipping. "THIS IS A REMANUFACTURED UNIT", BUT WORKS PERFECTLY. call them to get the full qoute. You should be able to save yourself alot. Good Luck.