Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

trans problems.help now plz

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default trans problems.help now plz

hey guys i bought my cherokee a lil over a year and have been having trans problems since i bought it.i just changed the fluid last week which got rid of 1 problem but i think i have 2 others still.so in reverse it slips unless i give it a second to get in gear before accelerating then it always catches.then in first it likes to rev high to shift and likes to slip even if i do give it a min to catch it still wont.any ideas?im thinkin its some sort of sensor
Old 06-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

check codes. also make sure that the t.v. cable is adjusted properly.
If you have governor codes than you can try and change it and see if it goes away. But look up the tv adjustment and do this before anything.
honestly if you have been driving it like this for a year and who knows how long before you got it than its probably smoked.
Im sorry but I dont understand how people think that they can drive on a problematic transmission and then just service it and expect it to go away. when your engine starts knocking you dont expect to change the oil and for it to be ok right?
anyway, sorry for the rant. It just drives me crazy.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

Is this a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee, what engine and what auto trans? If its a Cherokee with 4.0L and AW4, you would have a better chance of getting an answer on the Cherokee OEM board.

If its an AW4, you should be using Dexron III Mercon fluid as specified.

Remove the fuse for the trans control unit (power distribution box under the hood) or unplug the trans control unit and try shifting manually. 1-2 should get you 1st gear, 3 should get you 3rd, D should be OD, and R should be reverse.

For 1st and R solenoid #1 should be on. You can test the resistance of the solenoids by unplugging the 7 pin connector beside the dipstick. The female end with row of 4 sockets will connect to (3) solenoids. wt/bk S#3, vt/wt S#2, and db/wt S#1. If they check out (12-18 ohms from solenoid to ground), it might be time for a pressure test, stall test, and time lag test. Take it to a trans shop for this work.

If its not an AW4, disregard this post.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:01 PM

no man i totally understand where youre coming from and you make a good point.im just trying to get some little things out of the way before i drop 3 grand on a new trans and install.but thanks man
Old 06-01-2011, 08:03 PM

to excess650 youre probably right i should be on the oem page cause i have a 4 speed 4.0 liter inline 6.but yeah thanks for the advice im open to anything that makes sense so if anything else comes to mind just let me know dude
Old 06-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 2000

is it a grand cherokee though? they both are 4 speed inline 6. if its a grand than you are fine here.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

You might want to "search" for various transmission threads and read them. The AW4 has been around since the mid 1980s or so and was also used in some Toyotas. Its a pretty long lived auto trans and has a trans control unit seperate from the engine control. If you've already adjusted your kickdown cable properly, its time to follow some of the other troubleshooting procedures to try and isolate just what is wrong.

Like you, I didn't want to go to a trans shop and have my wallet raped. Instead, I searched the 'net and found this site and several others. I posted questions, located the AW4 manual and troubleshooting manual and tried to decipher what was applicable in my case.

The '96 is sensitive to the throttle position sensor and vehicle speed sensor with the TPS being a common problem. There is also a brake pedal switch which triggers "unlock". The TCU is housed under the dash trim below the glove box. TCUs sometimes go bad, but your symptoms sound like something else, like time lag. It could be related to incorrect fluid, or slipping clutches.

Doing research and troubleshooting yourself will make you less vulnerable should you have to go to a trans shop. BTW, there are NEW, leftover '96 AW4s available from at least a couple of suppliers on the 'net for about $1300+ $125 shipping. These include the torque converter, so no need to spend MORE for a rebuild or remanufactured trans.

If you do have an XJ Cherokee, post on the OEM Cherokee forum.