Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

trans cooler

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default trans cooler

Can someone clairify the routing of my trans cooler lines for me? 96 gc 4.0 42re 242 tc w/ factory aux cooler. As of now the front line out of the tranny goes to the bottom of the radiator. The line out of the rear of the tranny routes into the bottom of the cooler. From the top of the cooler a line runs into the top of the radiator. Is this correct? Seems wrong/ inefficient to me, so im asking the experts. How long does it take for tranny fluid to get warm? Is there a thermostat/regulator that keeps the tranny fluid from circulating in the trans cooling system before it warms up? Any links tips & info is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:59 PM

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by jeep-e
Can someone clairify the routing of my trans cooler lines for me? 96 gc 4.0 42re 242 tc w/ factory aux cooler. As of now the front line out of the tranny goes to the bottom of the radiator. The line out of the rear of the tranny routes into the bottom of the cooler. From the top of the cooler a line runs into the top of the radiator. Is this correct? Seems wrong/ inefficient to me, so im asking the experts. How long does it take for tranny fluid to get warm? Is there a thermostat/regulator that keeps the tranny fluid from circulating in the trans cooling system before it warms up? Any links tips & info is greatly appreciated.
T-fluid goes in hot at the top of the factory radiator, comes out at the bottom of radiator same side. When adding an aux cooler route FROM the cooled coming from the bottom of the radiator to the top of the aux and FROM the bottom of the Aux to the trans return line. This is how I did mine. I have a 98 4.0L

Last edited by als98xj; 04-02-2011 at 08:01 PM. Reason: add
Old 04-08-2011, 08:43 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by als98xj
T-fluid goes in hot at the top of the factory radiator, comes out at the bottom of radiator same side. When adding an aux cooler route FROM the cooled coming from the bottom of the radiator to the top of the aux and FROM the bottom of the Aux to the trans return line. This is how I did mine. I have a 98 4.0L
Thanks als98xj- thats what I was leaning towards in regards to the radiator (gravity) inlet in the top. Now w/ mine having the factory trans cooler are they also looped in the system after the radiator? Which line is the return line? The one most aft in the trans? The lines on my rig, out of the trans enter the bottom of the radiator or bottom of the cooler. (as stated in my first post) Either way would be wrong, correct? Looks like I have some re-plumbing to do. Can anyone else chime in & tell me how theirs is routed or suggest how I should route mine. They are factory lines (or factory replacements anyways) will this be a matter of just changing near by connections to get the flow going in the right direction? Thanks for any help.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:14 PM

Default I stand corrected ( I think)

Well after broadening my search, systems, not specific parts/?'s & vehicles other than gc's I think my plumbing may be correct. Atleast not backwards. I have read where others tranny outlets are routing into the bottom of the rad's also. No gravity assist as previously thought. Reason being ( btm > top ) helps prevent air bubbles. Nice, to know & learn. So does anyone know or agree w/ the fact that out of the top of my rad it routes into the top of the aux cooler. So much for the air bubble therory, maybe one pass up the rad is good enough also I have read where others fluid is rushing out of the outlet line. Mine only exits @ a noticiable rate when the engine is revved. (slightly) not going to drain out in seconds anyhow. Thoughts, ideas, input to this post & thread are greatly appreciated.