Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2
Default Tranny problem

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 5.2 auto trans, if I stay under about 2500 rpms it will shift through gears just fine but if I give her more throttle it acts as if its slipping, tranny fluid isnt dark or have a burnt smell has been like this for awhile to it I've got an idea on what it may be but looking for alittle more input on what it could be Thanks for looking
Old 01-25-2014, 02:45 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I had this same problem with my 97 ZJ right after I bought it. It WAS the transmission slipping. The PO had done a fluid and filter change to hide the burnt clutches. I paid $2700 for a rebuild with many internal hard parts replaced. This jeep had been ridden hard and put away wet too many times by the 3 soldiers that owned it before me. I should have known better, but I was smitten by the price and condition of it. It cost me more than the purchase price to fix it. It was my first jeep. Part of the learning curve, I suppose.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:07 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

You might check/adjust your TV cable. It connects your throttle to the transmission and proper shifting depends on it being adjusted correctly. With engine OFF, press in the D-shaped button and push the cable housing all the way back into the adjuster housing. Release the button and then twist your throttle to the wide open position. You should hear the adjuster "ratchet" into position. That's all there is to it. Take it for a test drive to see if the shifting has improved. It can be off a click or two in either direction, but if it's too far off it will shift too early or too late and can cause eventual transmission damage. Here's a pic to show you what it looks like. Hope this helps.. otherwise, you may need a transmission shop to diagnose.
Attached Thumbnails Tranny problem-tv-cable-adj2.jpg  
Old 01-31-2014, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

If you run your jeep too hot it starts to burn out your torque converter which will then throw chunks through the tranny and it acts like it slips at higher rpms. I had this problem and swapped the tranny because the old wouldve soon went out with it blowing metal chunks throughout the tranny. Try messing with the tv cable first then if that doesnt work its most likely the torque converter going bad.