Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Tranny Fluid color after usage?

Old 03-02-2011, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Tranny Fluid color after usage?

As I previously posted I just changed the transmission fluid in my GCL but the fluid that came out still looks pretty good I mean it's still pretty red and there were no shavings or anything in it or on the magnet at the bottom of the pan.

I'm just shy of 100,000 miles and I have no idea when it was changed last. Shouldn't it have discolored some by 100K? It seemed to shift a little smoother but I haven't driven it further then down the street and not even up to freeway speeds. I thought I read where it will turn a brownish color as it breaks down. The filter looked fine but I replaced it anyway.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Heat is what causes the fluid to change color. Since yours was still pretty and red, the trans cooler is doing its job and there is no slippage. As long as the fluid is clean and the level is ok, don't mess with it. A lot of newer cars don't even have a dipstick for the transmission anymore, they found they have fewer transmission warrany issues when they keep the owner of the vehicle from servicing a perfectly fine transmission.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee

A lot of newer cars don't even have a dipstick for the transmission anymore, they found they have fewer transmission warrany issues when they keep the owner of the vehicle from servicing a perfectly fine transmission. >>>>>>>>>

OK, well I probably could have just left it alone but I think the manual says every 30,000 miles and I have some time on my hands.