Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

trailer wiring harness pigtail location?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 02:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: '98
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default trailer wiring harness pigtail location?

I bought this '98 GC after the previous owner backed into something and ripped the factory trailer wiring plug and about 1 foot of pigtail off, which she then threw behind the back seat. I thought the rest of the pigtail would be above the tank, or behind the driver side taillight assembly, but can't seem to find it to splice it back together, where should I be looking? I pulled off the whole hitch assembly and looked around, but didn't see anything obvious wiring-wise. Pictures might be handy if someone has an example of where I should be looking...
Old 07-08-2012, 03:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Look under the LR corner behind the bumper cover.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:28 PM

I pulled off the bumper cover and can't see wires anywhere. My plug pigtail is about a foot long, so where do the wires go after they enter the chassis? I've looked above the tank, and also by the taillight assembly behind the plastic panels inside the vehicle...
Old 08-02-2012, 08:23 PM

Year: 1996

I have been dealing with wire problems on my '96 GC and the Tow wires run from the plug mount on the hitch, up between the bumper frame and the gas tank to the left rear corner and thru a rubber grommit under the left tail light . I have a small access panel behind the spare tire, the wires and connectors for the Tail light are all in there. The wire pack for the Trailer plug is WAY back in behind, not associated with the turnsignal lights and not very obvious. They run up thru the wall and under the back seat. That is on a '96 GCL. Hope that helps!
Old 08-02-2012, 10:03 PM

No wonder I couldn't find it Thanks for the help, will dig back inside there, they must have buried it pretty far down under the taillight assembly, I didn't see anything looking in that dark deep hole...
Old 08-05-2012, 08:31 AM

You wouldn't happen to have a picture of the hole where it enters the body or the harness in the rear compartment would you? I looked down below the taillight assembly and see a grommet down at the bottom, it seems like that's where you're talking about, but I can't find any cut off wiring loom on the body side of it. I see the wiring harness going to the taillight assembly, but that's up off the bottom about 6 inches, just can't seem to find the other harness, have the back apart almost all the way up to the seat now...