Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Are there any 7" Screen Head Units that fit a 98 ZJ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 12:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L
Default Are there any 7" Screen Head Units that fit a 98 ZJ?

I can't find any good 7 inch screen options for the ZJ. I want to replace my head unit since I'm putting in a stereo system. I'd like to have a screen so I can hook up a backup camera and I think it'd be easier to have everything in one rather than having separate screens and running wire for individual accessories. So ideally I'd like to find a screen that comes out of a single din with a downward drop. I do NOT want to make anything super custom for the console, I want to keep things simple.

Some people a long time ago mentioned finding some that fit, but they pointed upward and blocked the air vents.

This is terrible:
Name:  IMG00065-20100618-2224.jpg
Views: 6972
Size:  39.5 KB

and this is just an abomination - LULZ looks like a pink, velvet vagina swallowing dat "deck".
Name:  flipscreen1.jpg
Views: 2986
Size:  48.5 KB

I know there's a flip down that fits the XJ:

But will this fit a ZJ? What other options are out there? Some people have said the Eonon D1205 kinda sucks, so I'm looking to find out what else is out there.

Also what other options are there? Some people say the

Last edited by po0dingles; 03-30-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:35 AM

I've found a couple, but they're not what I'm looking for.

Android & Ipod connectivity (bluetooth preferable)
AUX out
Video In
Hanging down-type screen (what the heck is that even called?)
USB front (and rear if possible)
HD Radio
Old 03-30-2014, 02:11 AM

Boss Audio BV8963

Specs:
Front Panel Aux Input / Compatible with Audio Output of iPod and other MP3 Players
USB Input Full Size Front panel
Rear View Camera RCA Input
Steering Wheel Control Connection
Bluetooth: NO
iPod Controls: NO
Maximum USB Memory: ? Unknown ?

Last edited by po0dingles; 03-30-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

You might want to talk to the guys at Best Buy radio install dept. and Crutchfield.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 5.9 LTD

any down will do what your looking for ...

you are going to need an adapter ... the stock is a 1.5 ... what your looking at is a 1.0 din .....
Old 04-16-2014, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by 1998 ZJltd
any down will do what your looking for ...

you are going to need an adapter ... the stock is a 1.5 ... what your looking at is a 1.0 din .....
You were correct and I bought a face plate before I had it installed.

So here's my update for anyone else who might find this and be interested in doing the same.

I went with SoundStream's Ingenix SNX-731.

It has all the features I want, including something most manufacturers don't seem to have: multitasking. You can use GPS while answering the phone or use GPS while controlling your music. A little mini screen pops up in the corner.

Anyone looking for something cheaper than $300-$350 can pick up cheaper units by other manufacturers at around $120 bucks with a 7 inch screen.

It fits perfectly, though it does go over two of the air vents which I have pointing down for now. The angle can be adjusted too so it's not really that big of a deal.

While I was at it, for $100 I bought a nice heavy duty, steel-framed reverse camera. Looks pretty rugged and works awesome.

The only problem I had was with the unit it self. While I was able to somehow test out the reverse camera, it wouldn't boot up -- some sort of corrupted file on the system so I sent it back and I'm waiting for another.

Hopefully it's a fluke but I'll update and hopefully have some pics.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:48 PM

(Beefy) Reverse Camera:

TaoTronics® TT-CC17 Waterproof Color CMOS Car License Plate Frame Mount Rear View Backup Camera with night vision.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092YMZJY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092YMZJY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Carxtc Stereo Wire Harness

Link:
Amazon.com : Carxtc Stereo Wire Harness Jeep Cherokee 97 98 99 00 01 -car radio wiring installation parts : Vehicle Wiring Harnesses : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Carxtc Stereo Wire Harness Jeep Cherokee 97 98 99 00 01 -car radio wiring installation parts : Vehicle Wiring Harnesses : Car Electronics

Stereo Install Dash Kit

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKXT6C/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKXT6C/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-16-2014, 10:17 PM

Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Clarion makes a great unit. If you buy last year's model, the price can be $200...
Old 06-14-2014, 01:32 PM

Default Need Help

Hello poOdingles,
Can you post some pictures of your install I would like to see how it looks as I'm thinking of doing the same to my 1997 Orvis.
Thanks Greg
Old 06-16-2014, 09:44 AM

The screen covers the two vents, however you can tilt the unit so that you can access the vents to change how they're blowing. Added bonus, keeps your head unit from overheating

I don't know if I'd buy another soundstream product again. I was shipped 2 defective units. Third try worked, but now I fear how long it'll last. To be fair though, it was a software issue that prevented it from booting up.

They're planning on releasing a software update, not sure what it'll include. Over all I enjoy it. It's kind of quirky but whatever. I just like the picture in picture feature so I can control music and see my gps.

The carbon fiber is just something I did to get rid of the hideous fake wood. It came out pretty nice, imo.

Put these in the back

Last edited by po0dingles; 06-16-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:43 PM

Thank You I'm thinking of putting the vic where the radio is the, hvac controls where the vic was and install a good flip up screen where the hvac controls were doing it this way the flip screen will only block the air vents and vic we'll see. I wish one of the big companies would just make a good flip down screen would make life allot easier.
Thanks again
Old 06-17-2014, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Lifted97Orvis
Thank You I'm thinking of putting the vic where the radio is the, hvac controls where the vic was and install a good flip up screen where the hvac controls were doing it this way the flip screen will only block the air vents and vic we'll see. I wish one of the big companies would just make a good flip down screen would make life allot easier.
Thanks again
Why go through all that trouble when you could just install a flip down?
Old 06-17-2014, 11:53 PM

I want a motorized flip down because I wont be able to leave a deck [face] like yours on all the time [because of the temptation to thiefs] and I'm worried if I take it off every night and put it back on every morning something will break, and the only motorized flip down decks are China junk. I wish there was a good big name company with a motorized flip down deck available I haven't been able to find one. Have you heard of any?
Old 06-18-2014, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Lifted97Orvis
I want a motorized flip down because I wont be able to leave a deck [face] like yours on all the time [because of the temptation to thiefs] and I'm worried if I take it off every night and put it back on every morning something will break, and the only motorized flip down decks are China junk. I wish there was a good big name company with a motorized flip down deck available I haven't been able to find one. Have you heard of any?
I know where you're coming from. I avoided the motorized flip entirely because I was concerned about the gears/motor inevitably burning out or breaking. Mine does have a detachable face plate which I toss into the compartment under the armrest (it just barely fits).

If I were you, I'd be much more fearful of a motorized unit breaking before worrying about the clips breaking off of a detachable face. The back of mine looks pretty beefy and there's only 2 clips. You attach it by placing the left corner in first and then close it like a door on a hinge and it clicks into place and locks with a spring. The only way I can imagine these breaking is if a gorilla got into my car and smashed it into place.

The only time I EVER take the face plate off is when I'm parked at the mall or some big festival. But it's pretty hard to hide a sub box that's like 35 inches wide so why bother? Dark tints will help I guess. I also stretched the bungee net over the top to help mask it.

Honestly though, if someone wants to steal something bad enough they're going to do it regardless of the difficulty/risks. I mean lets be real, you can get all the security in the world but what's stopping someone from pulling up with a flatbed and hauling the entire vehicle away?

There are consequences to everything. Considering I've never had my car broken into but have seen plenty of electronics break, I'll go ahead and take my chances with theft and ensure the electronics I have are of good enough quality to last.

If I were a thief, I definitely wouldn't be looking at stealing something out of a 1998 shi!t bucket.

Last edited by po0dingles; 06-18-2014 at 10:44 AM.