Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Tail Lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Tail Lights not working

Greetings, I've been checking threads all over the net and can't seem to resolve my problem. I have a 2003 Jeep Cherokee Laredo, the running lights on the tail lights do not come on. I've already change every fuse under the dash, and replaced both the tail light assemblies with brand new units. All of the other tail light functions do work... the left and right signals, both left and right emergency lights, both left and right brake lights... just the running lights do not turn on when I turn on the light switch. I also replaced the headlights with brand new units because they were hazed over, but they turn on just fine. All of the other functions on the stalk work fine... like the interior lights, dash dimmer and headlight brights. I can't drive at night at all... too dangerous.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

do you have two fuse boxes one inside and one under the hood ,heres a link with some infohttp://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowled...ex.htm#service
Old 09-25-2011, 10:32 AM

Hmmm... as I already mentioned, I changed ALL the fuses under the dash. And as far as I can find out, there is no fuse under the hood related to the the tail lights. Can you be more specific?
Old 10-28-2011, 10:39 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4L I6

Hey there. I am having the same issue on my 1996 XJ. I actually had a ton of lighting issues. the fog lights in the front needed to be replaced. although the fillaments were fine, the bottom of the bulbs had sorta melted. replaced and fine. the little yellow markers in the front needed to have the contacts in the socket cleaned. done, so my front is all good.

the reverse lights and the brake lights work fine, but the tail lights are not working. replaced bulbs, cleaned contacts. fuses are fine both under the dash and under the hood.

What do i check next? they seem to be spliced into the trailer lights. if that connection was bad wouldnt the reverse and brake lights be out as well?

at a loss here and need fixed to get back on the rd.