Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Sunroof won't close.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Sunroof won't close.

I just bought a 98 grand cherokee 5.9 limited and the owner told me the sunroof was stuck closed so I removed the complete sunroof and after putting the cables back in there correct position was able to get the sunroof retracted. But when I tried to close it the cables would just push out towards the back of the truck and the glass won't move? It looks like on the cable sleves where they go through the guide used to have some sort of glue or apoxy. Are they supposed to be glued to that part? If so has anyone tried to re-glue them back in. If someone sits in the back and holds those cable tight the sunroof closes just fine. I'm a import mechanic and this is my first american vehicle so they way the sunroofs are put together or completely different. If anyone has any input or ideas it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-23-2011, 11:54 AM

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

I had to replace mine. I found them at the junk yard. I'm not sure gluing would work but you could try it.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:37 AM

How hard it is to get the ends the connects to the glass? Whats weird is it looks like glue or some other supstance is all that holds the cables on from the factory.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:46 AM

I had to drop the whole panel down from the roof. Then took the channels that the glass rides in off the panel and cleaned them. I'm not sure about the glue on the ends,but I do have a spare cable I can look at after work. I basically took the whole thing a part cleaned everything that moved and put it back together. Where the cables meet by the motor there is a metal plate riveted to the black metal I pryed on that to get the cables off. Dont do that just drill the rivets out and use a screw and a nut to put that plate back on once you get a new cable or fix your old one. One end of the cable has a brass end crimped the other end has a black plastic end by the motor. Thats the one your thinking of glueing is my guess. It might work,but its alot of work just to get at the sunroof. So you might want to look for a new cable.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:00 AM

The part that looked like it was glued was the gold colored piece that bolts to the end of the track near the motor. The cables pass through them on both sides. The plastic cover on the cable is the part that had the glue on it and is what I think is glued to the gold colored pieces.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:50 PM

The gold colored piece is curved right? You can try and glue them. Do you have a picture of it.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:59 AM

The gold colored piece is small and bolts to the back of the track nearest the sunroof motor. They are held in with no bolts and are not very big. I don't have a picture but I can try and take a picture of it in the jeep since the headliner is still out.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:33 PM

The gold colored pieces on mine would come out of the track or bracket when i tried to move the sunroof. I replaced them.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:53 AM

Where the gold colored pieces on the new cables glued or attached to the cable? I'm wondering if the glue broke on yours like it did on mine. I tried to call the dealer today to see if I can even order new cables and they said they are discontinued from chrysler and I can't get new ones. Which sucks and means I have to figure a way to fix the old ones or go to a junkyard and hope they are in better shape then mine.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:49 AM

After doing some more research apparantly it is a known problem with the connection from the factory. Other people have said they have soldered the tube back into the quide and it worked fine then. So maybe my jb weld will do the trick.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:00 PM

Might be worth a try.