Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Strange Noise Coming From Driver Side

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Strange Noise Coming From Driver Side

Hi this is my first post here, and I'm curious if anyone might be able to offer me some advice. I bought a 1998 Grand Cherokee a couple weeks ago that had a broken sway bar end links. There was a loud clunking noise coming from under the hood on the driver side, which I thought was all due to the sway bar. I replaced the end links, but the noise diminished quite a bit. However, the noise is still there, just not as bad.

The noise definitely comes from the driver side of the car. When I take a right hand turn, the noise get much louder. If I make a left hand turn, there is no noise. Also, when I get to cruising speed (45-55 mph) the noise seems to disappear. The noise is a metallic sound that sounds like some sort of metal rubbing on grinding.

When I bought the car, the left front tire had 16 PSI. I filled it up to 36, as recommended. I do not know how long the car was being driven with that little air in it, but I wonder if that could have caused some sort of damage to the front-left wheel.

If anyone has any idea as to what this could be or maybe some advice on how to trouble shoot it, I greatly appreciate it!
Old 05-30-2017, 05:15 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to CF!

Look at the rubber bushings where the stabilizer bar mounts to the frame. They're probably shot.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Thanks for your reply Dave. Glad to see there are some other upstate NYers on here. I forgot to mention, I replace those too. Still cant pinpoint this clunking/grinding noise.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:36 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Check your front wheel bearing hubs. If they get bad enough, the rotor will rub on the pads or backing plate/dust shield. I had a rock kick up and bend the edge of one of my rear backing plates and it made a terrible grinding noise.