Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Strange issue with my 04 Grand Cherokee...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7 V8
Default Strange issue with my 04 Grand Cherokee...

Well, here is the issue...the passenger door will not lock, the window does not go up or down, and the interior lights stay on??? Any ideas?
Old 04-20-2009, 03:48 PM

all i can say is check all the wiring back in that area...i have an 04 too, but nothing like this has happened....

as far as the lights go make sure you didnt bump the interior light switch on the head light controls...where you dim and brighten the dash lights..i know ive bumped it before and put it in the position where all the interior lights come on

im not good at all with wiring, so thats the best advice i can give.....lol..

i dont think the door lock/window would be a fuse, bc if the fuse was bad, i think it would stop all the windows and door locks from working...i dont believe each door has its own fuse
Old 04-20-2009, 04:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

On my '04 WJ, inside the rear hatch area there is a dome light. I once pushed the light to turn it on while looking for something, and forgot about it. I later noticed the interior lights were on in the car. Doors were shut. I went crazy fooling with the headlight switch control for the dome light, to no avail. I then remembered the rear switch. I turned it off there and felt relieved. Maybe that's your problem.
As for the pass. door issue, check the harness in the door jamb area for damage. Also you could check for any possible codes. Those systems are controlled by the Drivers Door Module. http://www.wjjeeps.com/modules.htm
For WJ info go here. http://www.wjjeeps.com/index.htm

Last edited by ol"blue; 04-20-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:05 AM

Model: Cherokee

I've been pretty satisfied with my 04 Grand Cherokee...
Haven't experienced some these issues...
I'll be observing my jeep for days to come and see if something goes wrong...
Old 02-10-2010, 07:36 PM

Default Help

I have an issue with my 04 WJ, my windows do not go up and down, the door lock switch doesn't work, and the dome lights stay on, and the mirror switch does not work either. I have had a previous problem with the drivers door switches not working before, found that the wire in the door broke. Can anyone help me

Originally Posted by Niteryder315
Well, here is the issue...the passenger door will not lock, the window does not go up or down, and the interior lights stay on??? Any ideas?
Old 02-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Silver04WJ
I have an issue with my 04 WJ, my windows do not go up and down, the door lock switch doesn't work, and the dome lights stay on, and the mirror switch does not work either. I have had a previous problem with the drivers door switches not working before, found that the wire in the door broke. Can anyone help me
you probably have some broken wires in the boot from the body to the door that would be a good place to start
Old 02-11-2010, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by maverickdan
you probably have some broken wires in the boot from the body to the door that would be a good place to start
It was a broken ground wire, i added an Inch or two of wire too add some slack
Old 04-12-2013, 09:50 AM

Year: 2000
Default which Ground Wire?

Originally Posted by Niteryder315
was it a ground wire to the passenger door? I have exactly the same issue and really would appreciate knowing which wire it is. I'd like to avoid running all over the vehicle look for a bad ground somewhere.

thanks.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:04 AM

Year: 2000
Talking yep I'm a goof

Originally Posted by jfliege
was it a ground wire to the passenger door? I have exactly the same issue and really would appreciate knowing which wire it is. I'd like to avoid running all over the vehicle look for a bad ground somewhere.

thanks.

wow i'm a goof about two minuites after I posted I remembered reading the quote for the solution posted. I felt really dumb and ran out and fixed the door and of coarse it worked was a broken wire in the sleeve in the door. now off to work. the lock down doesn't work but I guess I need to wiggle the connector in the door to get it working again or maybe a little dielectric grease. thanks for the help.

signed your local neighborhood idiot