Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

strange electrical issue...ideas?

Old 04-17-2013, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default strange electrical issue...ideas?

2007 jeep grand cherokee with the hemi. current mileage is 78k.

the digital readout will say liftgate open and flash continuously between that and the temp, and or service required. meanwhile the lights go on and off inside like a door is open. you also hear the door dinging sound from an open door.

I bought this vehicle used with 36k and it has had this problem pop up periodically. it has also went dead stick stall while driving 3 times.

I recently had a complete tune up on everything, though that would catch something but no.

I read a very long thread once before on hemis with stall issues and those did not seem to fit my situation because its very infrequent. last time was xmas. in every case when this happens if you turn it off and back on its all normal and good to go.

very very strange, im so Leary of taking it to the dealer for fear of them never finding the issue but charging me to fix everything else they find.

any ideas
Old 04-17-2013, 07:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by stimp774
2007 jeep grand cherokee with the hemi. current mileage is 78k.

the digital readout will say liftgate open and flash continuously between that and the temp, and or service required. meanwhile the lights go on and off inside like a door is open. you also hear the door dinging sound from an open door.

I bought this vehicle used with 36k and it has had this problem pop up periodically. it has also went dead stick stall while driving 3 times.

I recently had a complete tune up on everything, though that would catch something but no.

I read a very long thread once before on hemis with stall issues and those did not seem to fit my situation because its very infrequent. last time was xmas. in every case when this happens if you turn it off and back on its all normal and good to go.

very very strange, im so Leary of taking it to the dealer for fear of them never finding the issue but charging me to fix everything else they find.

any ideas
Two words:
Chrysler Electrical

Unfortunately strange electrical problems plague the majority of the Chrysler fleet. The dealer may have a software update to fix this condition. Also, check your lift gate connection to make sure there's not an issue.