Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

strange behavior after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 12:29 PM
pwb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default strange behavior after oil change

Hi, i changed my oil on my Tranny (Dex III since its AW4). Some time if i put it in R and after some meters hit the breake and then starts to drive again it take some time before its got any response from the tranny, i can get up to 2500rpm before it hits in. I have also had it 2 times when driving forward, if i drive up a hill and then brake it feels like it take a litle while before it goes in 1st. It sometime feels that its not as respons as it was before.
I have also filled my TC (249) since it was almost empty of oil. Could the tranny need to be "trained" since i have had the battery disconnected? How hot should the oil tubes that goes to the radiator be, its hot, but not so hot hot i burn myself with only touch them, but its so hot that i cant hold my finger on them, its a litle hotter than my radiator hose.
If the old owner have used ATF+4 on it, does that have something to say? The oil i replaced was brown and ATF+4 can turn brown after some use, but Dex III is red also after use?
I have had some trouble with idle to after disconecting the battery, but thats now okey after i tok it for a long drive. Do i need to do something in a spesific order and stuff to learn the tranny how it should work?

Many question and maybe some stupid one too, but i'm learing :-)
Old 08-28-2011, 08:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

First thing I would do is check fluid lvl.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Engine: 4.0

X2 check fluid level, type of trans fluid would not be the problem. Dex 3 or any other fluid can change color. Brown fluid is either old and dirty or could have been burned.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:09 PM

how many kms/miles on your jeep?
Old 09-02-2011, 01:32 AM
pwb

Originally Posted by brash
how many kms/miles on your jeep?
270.000km
Old 09-17-2011, 09:19 AM
pwb

After using the car its seems to be better and i have checked the fluid level and its now on max (when hot and in N), but when its cold its still take 1-2 sec. before it seems to kick in. Its not any problem from 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 or down, its only problem when starting from a full stop. I have noticed that there is a lot of small bubles in the oil when cheking the level. I have changed the radiator to (with oil cooler) so is it only air in the transmission system that needs to go out?
Old 09-19-2011, 08:58 AM

Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7

Bubbles usually mean too much fluid I have read.
I just changed my fluid and filters and had a problem, no movement in any gear. Short story it turned out the flat filter had come loose because the ring seal had popped off. That was after spending $ on 2 sensors not needed, (had a code of P0700).
Try draining some fluid.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:23 AM
Seasoned Member

Pull your pan back off and make sure your filter is in the proper position.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:10 AM
pwb

Originally Posted by Zj heep
Pull your pan back off and make sure your filter is in the proper position.
I will do that. But i have read somewhere that when mount a new oilcooler it should be filled with oil before attaching the lines because the air in the cooler could do some bad thing. and since i mounted new radiator with oilcooler without filling it with oil could that do something wrong with a AW4?
Old 09-19-2011, 12:31 PM
pwb

WTF, The litle hole/"thing" on the picture isnt high enough. When i use my old filter i can feel that its in place, but on the new filter i cant feel its in place, i can move the filter when i press the filter up. hmmmmm i used my old filter and the response from the transmission is much more like it was before when i backed it out of the garage. Could this be the problem? I will take it to a test run tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails strange behavior after oil change-19.09.jpg  
Old 09-19-2011, 04:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Make sure the new filter is the same as the old one.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994

I have personally seen it twice, on chevys where the filter dont fit right and smokes the tranny, so yes, that little problem right there could be the cause of everything.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:20 AM
pwb

Originally Posted by tiwvr1
I have personally seen it twice, on chevys where the filter dont fit right and smokes the tranny, so yes, that little problem right there could be the cause of everything.
hi, i have used the car maybe 100 miles with the "wrong" filter, could this brake the tranny? I have filled it up with new oil ( 3,5 l), but not flushed it. I think the oil i tok out did have a litle smell of burn. Should i drive a litle and then change more oil?
Old 09-24-2011, 02:40 PM
pwb

After my change back to the old filter it is okey :-) This is my second time something dont match or behave as original parts. I didnt buy the cheapest filter so why didnt it match? Is there some labels/manufactures i shouldnt buy? Is shopping at cheap places bad?
Old 09-26-2011, 11:52 AM

I wouldn't go as far as saying that cheap things are bad, they're just a they're portrayed. (cheap) lol umm I would suggest that you run it for a day or two then change the fluid. Run it again for a day or two, then change the fluid. Repeat that process till you can't smell any burnt fluid then you should be okay. And if the old filter gives you better response, use it over a new one till you can find an identical match of the old one.

Quick Reply: strange behavior after oil change