Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Still Investigating Grinding When Turning...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7 V8
Question Still Investigating Grinding When Turning...

So my 99 WJ GC makes a grinding noise when turning at low speed.

I have changed the diff fluids which didn't really make any difference.

So now I have found this on a site....

I discovered what it was. The Quadra Trak cable has a clip that holds it up to the frame. This clip broke and the cable rubs up against the drive shaft.
You can feel that the drive shaft is smooth where it is rubbing. I popped out the broken part of the clip and zip tied the cable up and the problem disappeared immediately.

Can someone please give me an idea of what I'm looking for and where as I have no idea!

Not sure if this is the fixer, but its worth taking a look.

Thanks
Old 10-26-2011, 05:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 5.2

I used to have that exact same problem in my 04. Does yours make the noise right away for after its been driven for a while? Mine would only start making the noise if I drove for more then 10 miles and would get louder on turns the further I went after that. So I changed the diff fluids thinking that would help, and nothing!

I know this isn't the right way to go about it but at that time I had a warranty, I was just gonna let whatever it was blow up and have the dealer worry about it. But eventually it went away on its own, never to be heard again.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:03 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.7 V8

It makes the noise at all different times, sometimes first thing and sometimes after its been driven for a while.

If you put it in drive, take your foot off the brake and turn hard as if you were going to drive in circles, it will literally grind to a halt! So its in the drive-train somewhere!?
Old 10-27-2011, 05:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 5.2

Sounds like your transfer case may be binding
Old 10-27-2011, 05:49 AM

Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

i agree with transfer case. it would be worth draining and re filling and inspecting the fluid for any chunks or something (you can run a magnet through it). im not sure where you live but in oregon les schwabs will do a free front end "shake down" and be able to tell you exactly what it is. at my local schwabs its free. that assumes its axle related. has it ever been in an accident?

haha i dont even know if its worth bringing up but i guess its a possibility as well. if your tires are wider than factory it could be rubbing on your sway bar or something and it could just be as simple as that
Old 10-27-2011, 11:36 AM

Model: Cherokee

It's also possible that you have a wheel bearing issue, and being that they are enclosed like they are its pretty hard to determine with the old fashioned jack it up and give it a shake method.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 5.2L

Originally Posted by mudrunner
i agree with transfer case. it would be worth draining and re filling and inspecting the fluid for any chunks or something (you can run a magnet through it). im not sure where you live but in oregon les schwabs will do a free front end "shake down" and be able to tell you exactly what it is. at my local schwabs its free. that assumes its axle related. has it ever been in an accident?

haha i dont even know if its worth bringing up but i guess its a possibility as well. if your tires are wider than factory it could be rubbing on your sway bar or something and it could just be as simple as that
if its a 249, the coupler is a sealed unit so I doubt any chips would show up.

binding while making tight slow turns is a symptom of a dying 249 from what I am told
Old 12-01-2011, 07:52 PM

Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7
Thumbs up

My 04 overland does this grinding or binding noise on slow 10-15 or so mph turns some time son lefts ,some times on rights. I'll find out tomorrow cause my mechanic has it on lift right now. He said the transfer case and rear prob was never serviced, so well see what he finds. Beyond that he found a leaking oil sender unit which was dripping oil on my driveway since i bought 3 weeks ago. I thought it was a rear engine main seal. glad i was wrong.