Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Sticky thread for reading PCM codes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 04:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Sticky thread for reading PCM codes?

Hi everyone, I've been on the site only about 10 days or so, but doing a lot of reading in order to get to know the habits and quirks of the '91 Cherokee sitting out in front of the house.

Which is currently the only vehicle capable of getting in and out of my driveway right now.... but that is another story.

I've posted to a couple of threads about the procedure for getting the Check Engine light to flash out any stored trouble codes in the PCM; I learned this trick on my old '87 Chrysler LeBaron and was very happy to see this worked on the '91 Jeep!

It seems a lot of people (like me) have been coming here with troubleshooting questions, and I thought maybe a Sticky thread would be a good idea for people to get some quick answers to common problems.

I was thinking of something along the line of Starting & Driveability Problems? Start Here. Ok, no pun intended, as I read back over that.

It would have things like getting the codes out of pre-OBD II computers ('95 and earlier, IIRC), the typical problems to look for like the Crank Position Sensor, and how to test for that.

Ideas and/or opinions?

Edit: Oops, thought I was posting this in the regular Cherokee Tech forum. Can this be copied or moved?

Last edited by Dan_in_WA; 12-26-2010 at 04:41 AM. Reason: Did something dumb.