Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 03:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Stalling problem

Ok, Ive come to this because I have no where else to go. My girlfriend has a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee with about 160,XXX miles on it. We have taken it to multiple shops and nothing can be found wrong with the car so I have turned to a jeep forum.

When first starting and driving the truck (no matter how long it has been "warming up") it will stall while coming to a stop. Sometimes it will start right back up then run fine, other times it will start, run and stall at the next stop sign/light, and other times it wont start at all for a few minutes.

We just had it in the shop and they replaced the trucks crank sensor saying it will solve the problem. Jokes on us because it still dies randomly. Im looking for some insight here, knowing its a long shot without having the vehicle at hand, but any suggestions would be a great help. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-25-2010, 04:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

Any codes? And the crank sensor was a good place to start, They can cause multiple problems and go bad quite often
Old 09-25-2010, 09:32 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0I6

fuel pump ? fuel pump relay? just had similar issue with mine
Old 09-25-2010, 01:51 PM

It was spitting a code for a ignition coil, it got replaced, and it spit the code again. We have not checked the fuel pump or the relay yet though. Those will be the next places to look though. Thanks for the suggestions. Any other would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 5.2

I dont think there is a code for Ignition coil, maybe random misfire code, do u have the code number on hand at all?
Old 09-25-2010, 09:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Replace the Idle Air Control motor on the throttle body.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

p0351 ignition coil driver circuit failure. possible causes are faulty coil, faulty ecm/pcm, faulty wiring
Old 09-25-2010, 10:17 PM

Engine: 4.0L

Lucky for you, I just fixed the exact same problem on my jeep!
The problem is the neutral safety switch on the transmission. Here is a link on how to take it apart and clean it because it is about $200 to replace:
http://bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-neut...ty-switch-nss/

What happens is, the neutral safety switch tells the transmission to go into neutral while you're not accelerating (like pressing in a clutch to keep a manual from stalling) so when you brake or sometimes putting it into drive from neutral it will try to stall. Here's a test to see if im right: next time it trys to stall, put the shifter into neutral, if your rpms increase to normal range, you know that the safety switch is bad.

If you dont have the AW4 transmission, then the neutral saftey switch wont look like that one. It will be a little bolt plug with 3 wires connected to it. Luckily that one is about $20 to replace.

Also, make sure your tranny fluid is full.

Good luck! Post your results!
Old 09-26-2010, 02:14 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Boy I always thought the NSS kept your vehicle from starting in gear...
OP: Does it only stall while decelerating in gear, or if you put it in park and rev it, will it stall? If this was a GM 4L60E/4T60E I would say replace the transmission control solenoid. I'm not familiar enough with Chrysler or AW transmissions yet.

Last edited by firstime00XJ; 09-26-2010 at 02:17 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:15 AM

it does, it also tells your reverse lights to come on...
Old 09-26-2010, 02:30 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by myhobbes25
it does, it also tells your reverse lights to come on...
I know...
Old 09-26-2010, 01:09 PM

The problem is the neutral safety switch on the transmission. Here is a link on how to take it apart and clean it because it is about $200 to replace:

What happens is, the neutral safety switch tells the transmission to go into neutral while you're not accelerating (like pressing in a clutch to keep a manual from stalling) so when you brake or sometimes putting it into drive from neutral it will try to stall. Here's a test to see if im right: next time it trys to stall, put the shifter into neutral, if your rpms increase to normal range, you know that the safety switch is bad.

If you dont have the AW4 transmission, then the neutral saftey switch wont look like that one. It will be a little bolt plug with 3 wires connected to it. Luckily that one is about $20 to replace.

Thats funny because when I was driving her car, I would feel it start to stall and I would just put it into neutral and it would be fine. So Im thinking this may be the problem, or at least one of the problems the car has. Thanks a lot!
Old 09-26-2010, 02:25 PM

I was told by a friend that it could be the problem. and All i did was change it out and top off the tranny fluid... no more stalling.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:18 AM

Back from the dead, im curious about this post, If the NSS is bad or dying, will the vehicle even crank if it thinks its not in neutral or park?

Ive noticed while pulling up to the stop signs the rpms get drawn down, and ill bump it into nuetral and itll jump back up to normal idle RPM. My only concern is that if the PCM thinks the car is in drive, r, or park that it would even crank. Am i wrong to assume this?

Ive already replaced the crank sensor and it has apparently not helped. We are noticing the dying issues on wet days or very humid days with alot of moisture in the air.

Thanks.

Kyle