Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Stalling issue diagnosed

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Stalling issue diagnosed

Well, let me tell ya, I've read a thousand threads about jeeps stalling out. And I've heard of people throwing parts it it left and right only for it to start doing it all over again. I've heard Crankshaft sensor, TPS, 2 little screws in th PCM case, O2 sensor, bad CAT, and cam sensor. And I've heard of jeeps stalling out when all of these sensor read normally during a diagnostic. So what the heck is causing th stalls and shut downs? OVERDRIVE converter in the tranny maybe???? That was what what ended up being wrong w/ mine. And I never thought about it because it shifted just fine. But th problem wasn't that it would slip or wouldn't go into overdrive. The problem is that it wouldn't come out of overdrive....ever. Figured it out when I was in a semi stall, reached for the radio to turn it down, and accidentally disable th overdrive. Car ran perfectly w/ overdrive off........FYI If you keep stalling out, can't get a diagnostic answer, and are at your wits end. Try turning off over drive and see how she runs.....Hopw this helps
Old 08-16-2012, 09:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

Thank you for the post, Very over looked problem.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Part of the problem is a lot of people dont provide enough information on the problem they are having and what is happening just before and during the event.

There is a big difference between coming up to a stop, engine starts to lug down and then die (just like forgetting to push the clutch in on a manual trans) versus cruising down the road and all the sudden the engine dies, versus sitting at a stop light waiting for a green and the engine mysteriously dies etc.

Provide more information on whats actually going on and you can eliminate a lot of guesses and probably save some bucks too.