Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

SSDD... ASD relay issues..

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default SSDD... ASD relay issues..

When cruising the car starts to sputter until i floor it, then it takes off... had it scanned and the ASD relay was what i thought was the culprit.. replaced it with one purchased at the dealer... worked great for a month... now the problem is back.. could this be a PCM issue? Help.. every place i call that works on electrical systems in the Tampa area only work on imports.. and the one place i found that works on domestic cars was worthless... they couldnt find anything but still charged me for 6 hours... they said their best guess was a fuel pump, but i knew the fuel pump was good because the car never dies if i leave it in park and let it run for hours... Changed the pump anyways because the fuel level reader had gone bad, so i said what the hell.. might as well.. vehicle is a 98 4.0
Old 03-17-2013, 01:04 AM
Former Sponsor

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/sympt...on-sensor.html

Chances are it is the throttle position sensor. It would be best to test it first before replacing it.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:44 PM

TPS is about 6 months old... replaced that when it kept stalling when i would brake..
Old 03-18-2013, 02:05 PM

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V6 4.0 LITER
Default some info for you

here is 3 things to check. cam position sensor (cps) can cause some hesitation and stalling at low speeds or idle. the idle air control sensor (IAC) can cause the same if it's dirty/clogged or going bad. your manifold absolute pressure (MAP) can do this too. how's your plugs look? a bad map sensor can be noticed from oxidation build-up on your plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, and coil. i have a 97 gc 4.0L that has acted up from all these sensors. symptoms for each are not always different like their supposed to be. at least with my jeep that was the case.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:09 AM

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V6 4.0 LITER
Default more info

95% of repair shops will always suggest the fuel pump. ask them are they 100% sure that will fix the problem and you will see that it is an electrical problem that they are not willing to "dwell on until solved". most shops are operated on a turn and burn basis. that is to get you out the door as fast as possible while making the most they can. the mechanics simply cannot afford to "waste a lot of time" hoping they find the problem. even a lot of your jeep mechanics think your nuts when you explain your problem to them. obviously, they do not own one or they would be familiar with some of the crazy things your jeep will do at times. focus on the electrical ( sensors , relays , fuses , plug wires , plugs , coil , etc.) . fuel pumps do not just act up once in a while. if they are going bad or already there, so is the consistent failure / problem. shops ought to know that much at least since they all "claim" to be certified. lol
Old 03-19-2013, 03:59 AM

A problem i had just after i replaced my head gasket was when u let off the gas, the jeep would die and then have a hard time starting back up. What i replaced were all 3 sensors on the throttle body as well as cleaning the hell out of the throttle body.... what all i have replaced in the past 8 months include: pre and post-cat o2 sensors, IAC, TPS, whatever the other sensor is on the throttle body, head gasket, spark plugs about a month ago along with new wires, new starter, new thermostat, new fuel pump, new ASD relay,and a new power steering pump... this is all within the last 6-8 months... the problem i have happens, so i park it for a few weeks, and then it drives great again for about a month or so, and then goes back to how it was... I got the Jeep for free, and I love it besides the fact it is a 2wd which sucks... so i will most likely trace the wires for the sensors and make sure they aren't getting chewed up somehow, and if not.. just start replacing a few $40 sensors at a time..
Old 03-27-2013, 02:01 AM

Okay.... turned out to be a bad IAC that I put in 3 months ago.... called my buddy who works at Napa, and it turned out to be under the 1 year warranty, so I swapped it out, and has ran great since...