Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

tcm shifter or electrical issue?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default tcm shifter or electrical issue?

Hello

I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee LTD edition 2.7 diesel

It has been left standing for a few months and moisture and mould has got inside.

The lights behind the shifter are not going on, it will go into drive and engage but when you press the excelerator it slips out of gear and revs.

I took it to the local Jeep dealer who diagnosed it as 3 problems. Faulty TCM, faulty shifter and internal gearbox fault. It was as though he did not have a clue what was wrong so he just listed everything it could be! Anyway, when I went to pick it up suddenly all the reversing sensors started working, gear selector lights came on and it drove home beautifully.

Next day same problem, I did notice that the alarm is no longer working and none of the reversing sensors are on, also the dash lights were coming on and off, abs light intermittently coming on and same with the parking light.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I do not want to start replacing the TCM module and things like that if it is an electrical fault.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-27-2013, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default update

I got into it today and all the lights came on and it drove fine and dandy, drove it around for an hour without turning it off. Then stopped and turned it off for a sec and turned it straight back on and it had gone again!

I am thinking electrical, anyone got any ideas please?