Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

squealing belt

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default squealing belt

I have a 06 WK with 53000 miles on it jsut bought it a month ago and belt is squealing. Changed belt noise got worse. I jsut bought new tensioner pulley assembly, didnot install yet. Guy at auto parts store told me to turn on defrost adn see if the compressor was the issue. I did this and sure enough this was it? Anyone else have this issue this earlyin the life of the vehicle. I am assuming this is only a dealer item which means I am going to pay thru the nose.

Any suggestions or help to verify this is correct would be great.

Thanx,
Chuck
Old 12-30-2009, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by kroneck4
I have a 06 WK with 53000 miles on it jsut bought it a month ago and belt is squealing. Changed belt noise got worse. I jsut bought new tensioner pulley assembly, didnot install yet. Guy at auto parts store told me to turn on defrost adn see if the compressor was the issue. I did this and sure enough this was it? Anyone else have this issue this earlyin the life of the vehicle. I am assuming this is only a dealer item which means I am going to pay thru the nose.

Any suggestions or help to verify this is correct would be great.

Thanx,
Chuck

Is the belt squealing, or is it a pulley bearing that's squealing? You need to remove the serpentine belt, and spin every pulley by hand and see if one makes a noise or just doesn't feel right. You can also use a mechanic's stethoscope to try to listen to exactly where it's coming from but be careful you don't get sucked into the drive belt!

Do not assume that any part is only a dealer's item. You would be amazed at how fast the aftermarket manufacturers are able to produce parts for new cars.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:54 PM

Default pulleys vs. belt

I have checked the pulleys without the belt turning them by hand and all seem to be free. I have found that the A/C compressor is making the noise. When I turn on the defroster the pulley or clutch squeal. I have unhooked the clutch electrical connection adn seems to have stopped the squealing.
I have a high pressure reading on the high side of A/C and a normal reading on the low side of the A/C ports.

I need assistance now on where to find the specs and working schematic of the A/C system so I can track down filters and valves to see if I have a malfunction elsewhere. Next step is to purchase a new air compressor a good site for that would help also. I am thinking the valve may be bad not allowing the freon to flow when the clutch starts the pressure gets high and then the pulley gets hung up after system has been turned off for a few minutes the pulley turns free again.

Any help is welcomed.

Thanx