Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Sound system install help

Old 05-06-2010, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V8 5.9L
Default Sound system install help

I just got the jeep last month, i'm ready to hook up the system from my old car, i'm just having a little trouble. I hooked up the head unit, but it wouldn't turn on. Then I tried to hook up the stock stereo again and wouldn't turn on either. I noticed some exta wires that I wasn't sure about what they were.

There was a small white plug with a purple wire and black/white stripe wire, but there was nowhere on the head unit or wire harness to hook it up. I think it might be for the radio controlls on the steering wheel, but I can do without that.

There is also a little black piece of plastic on a black wire that snaped onto a metal piece of the stock stereo. This black wire was spliced with another black wire that extended to nothing and was run with a red wire that started by the grey connector and also ran out to nothing. I think these might be the ground and ignition wires, so i hooked those two wires up from the head unit to the two loose wires instead of hooking them up to the wire harness, but it still didn't work.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about, have any ideas? I am also wondering if there is a hole in the fire wall or a way to get the power wire back to the amp so I can make my two 12's and my 10 go BOOM!! BOOM!
Old 05-07-2010, 12:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: LEAKY NOISY 4.0

how are you testing your wires? do you have a test light? the black wire with the black clip that was attached to the rear of your stock radio is the ground. you only need 3 wires hooked up to make your radio turn on; yellow- constant 12v+, red- ignition 12v+, and black- ground. for your power wire, there should be a grommet in the firewall to the left of the brake pedal/steering column, either for the hood release cable or the factory wiring harness, just poke a coat hanger through it, tape your power wire to it, and pull it through. hope this helps
Old 05-07-2010, 01:34 AM

I think these might be the ground and ignition wires, so i hooked those two wires up from the head unit to the two loose wires instead of hooking them up to the wire harness, but it still didn't work.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

if you haven't cut off the factory plug yet DON'T! save yourself a huge headache and go to wallmart and buy the factory wire harness. it's $12.00 and makes the job a breeze. the two wires your talking about won't be used with an aftermarket deck. I'm not sure what they do on the factory radio either. I had the infinity system OEM and changed it out. the OEM radio will still work with the white plug unhooked so I'm not sure what it does. if you do have the factory amp make sure you connected the remote wire from your new deck to the remote lead to the OEM amp or none of the speakers will work. if you did cut the plug let me know and I'll tell you what wires are what.

EDIT: I ran my power wire for the amp down the passenger side, there is a hole in the fender in front of the hood hinge that you can pull a wire to the rubber that the door wires go through. I cut a small hole in that and pulled the wire along the passenger side under the carpet. I moved the jack and factory tire tools and mounted the amp under the back seat opposite the factory amp. I grounded the amp on one of the bolts for the seat bracket.

Last edited by sportrider; 05-07-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:20 PM

Year: 98
Engine: V8 5.9L

Thanks for the help. The radios werent turning on because the fuse was blown, but i got it all hooked up and... the battery was dead. I got it jumped and the 12s were working,but not the ten on the other chanel. I turned the radio off so it would be easier to jump and it wouldnt come back on. I think i blew the fuse again. Was too tired to check it ill look at it later today.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:35 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 5.2

Did you get your radio working? Im hooking up an aftermarket as well and can not get it to turn on. Does anyone know what color the amp lead is? I was told that its the green with a red stripe, so i hooked that the the remote wire and I stall have nothing??? Does the factory plastic ground clip have to be hooked up for this to work? Thanks
Old 05-15-2010, 11:13 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 5.2

Tried hooking up the 12v to the power antenna heard that works as well but still have nothing. I think im going to just go buy the clip with the rca's and be done with it.