Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Soaked Carpet

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2003
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L IL6
Unhappy Soaked Carpet

I've tried using the search bar before I posted. I was chasing a grounded speaker cable when I noticed my Wj's front passenger side carpet is soaked, it is starting to rot my floorboards. I've tried soaking up as much as I could with a rag.

Anyone know how to get/drain the carpet?
Old 07-20-2009, 01:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Model: Cherokee
Engine: stock

you could put a humidifier in ya cab for a few days, works a treat....i took my carpet out to dry when i really flooded mine....got sick of that , so now i don't have any ....
Old 07-20-2009, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take it all out and let it air dry. If the fabric is wet on the bottom of the carpet its going to be really hard to get the smell out. Try to use vinagar and water mixed 50/50. Did you find out where the water is coming from??? Check you a/c drain. Blow air into the drain hose with a compressor and it will usually unclogg the drain
Old 07-20-2009, 03:06 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 Liter I-6
Default We carpet ...

Could be a bad heater core of heater hose (leaking).. make sure your radiator water level is good..
Old 07-20-2009, 05:27 PM
Registered Users

Year: 91 with lots of 01' parts
Engine: 01' 4.0L

i would def say to find the source of the prob first. you can get the water out but then its prob just gonna happen again.

x2 on the heater core and hoses
Old 07-20-2009, 05:32 PM

Year: 2003
Engine: 4.0L IL6

Thank you for all your quick responses , as always jcf members come through in a pinch.

nah the heater core isn't the prob. It could be the A/c drain being plugged, But I'm thinking it could be a door seal that is failing. The top of both the passrear and passfront door seals hang down, I've used some silicone to try and stick it back up there. Maybe I need to reseal it.

we get a lot of rain down here in florida, so that's probably where all the water is coming from.

I don't have a dehumidifier, I could just leave the jeep in the sun and crack a window a bit. but it would take weeks for it to work with all the 2pm rain's an all.

I could just put a cut under that part of the carpet, to get that water to drain out. or is that a bad idea.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:55 PM
Registered Users

Year: 91 with lots of 01' parts
Engine: 01' 4.0L

well i wont say its a good idea but i drilled two 3/8''holes on each floorboard of my cherokee, painted the drilled holes, and put rubberized coating over them. i did this because i have no doors on my cherokee and it was starting to rust. if you dont want to spend the money on new door seals then id say do this. its easy and cheap.

are your doors adjusted right with the body lines? if not adjust them so they are. then check seal.

has it been in a wreck? if so your unibody might be bent causing a gap in the seal.

just a few probs i have had to deal with

i dont think your ac drain tube would be causing your carpet to get ''soaked''. i dont know if there is that much condensation build up

Last edited by xjbones; 07-20-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:55 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: I6 4.0l

Well here are my thoughts. Obviously the water being there in the first place is not good and should definately find out whats up with that. there can be a hundred reasons its leaking. its funny how water will find its way from the weirdest places. don't have a moon roof do you? could be your windshield, as well as any of the ideas everyone else had. As far as the water that is already there, or that may continue to collect. I would definately drill a hole in the lowest point of the floor board on either side of the console. reason being is that if there is water, and it puddles under the carpet, your floor boards will rust out. 5 minutes to drill a hole vs. paying someone to weld in a new pan. not a hard choice. has its downsides though. YOU MUST WATERPROOF the bare metal around the hole. If you don't your floorboard will rust out very fast. the other problem is that if the water level reaches the bottom of the cab it will not keep the water out. Also if you drive in heavy rain it will get the carpet damp there but should dry out quickly. if the excess water is allowed to drain the carpets will dry out fast enough to not mildew.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

remove as much water as you can by using a shop vac with the paper filter removed.
then take the carpet out, if at all possible.
you'd have to remove the seats and center console first. not hard to do.

a wet carpet will take months to dry if left alone, if it'll dry at all.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:44 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by HeadShot
Thank you for all your quick responses , as always jcf members come through in a pinch.

we get a lot of rain down here in florida, so that's probably where all the water is coming from.
Thought Florida was the sunshine state?