Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

smoking...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default smoking...

I have a new to me JGC 1999. It is the 4.7 Magnum engine completely stock, and is a JGC Limited . It has AWD all the time....it also has 220k miles. Now that you are introduced to my new wagon here are my problems.

1. Smoking usually after start up and worse on restarts but goes away when pressure goes up to almost negligible spotty smoking.

2. Gas smell almost constantly...it isn't the hoses to fill but seems to smell worse when it has more gas (pressure), The pump clicks off alot when I try to fill it at full force from gas hose.

3. Grinding all over the rear end..been told 600 rebuild plus tax...anyone know if this would be a good deal?

4. Cruise control light comes on with button, sets and runs on an even plain but smallest roadway increase in altitude will make it break off and it wont force the jeep to run faster to climb the hill no matter the size. (I would expect it to break off on a steep incline but we are talking overpasses on the highway at 70 mph here)

So, I will post a pic when I get it but for now if any of you knowledgeable techs out there can helpa me out.