Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Slight leak still <arghhh>

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Slight leak still <arghhh>

OK, well I still seem to have a slight drip from one bolt in my transmission pan and I'm afraid if I tighten it too much I'll jack up the gasket and have to do it all over again.

Is there any kind of outer sealant I can put on the bolts to minimize the drip? If worst comes to worst I'll just put a drip pan in the garage.

I haven't really driven it further then half a mile down the street and back. Is it possible getting it out on the freeway and getting everything nice and hot the gasket may seal a little better?

I'm no engineer but WHY can't they just put in a drain plug and an exterior filter system so you don't have to pull the whole damn drain pan?

My Saturn has a cartridge oil filter that is the EASIEST oil change I've ever done, it's located on the top of the engine and all you do is pop it off with a ratchet, replace the cartridge and put the cover back. You don't have to be a contortionist or have a ratchet with three extensions and two couplers to reach it and there is no mess cause all the oil drains right back to the engine.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

They do sell a drain plug kit at autozone. I always put drain plugs on my rigs transmissions. When I drain them. On my 97 GC I just drilled a hole in the pan to drain it last weekend. Then welded a nut to the pan Put a nylon washer On the bolt. I have no leaks. Did your gasket move during installation?
Old 03-04-2011, 03:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

they do not install drain plugs in trans pans because you need to pull it down to change the filter any way
Old 03-04-2011, 03:40 PM

Looks like it's just one bolt, possibly the gasket moved a little bit I should have put some adhesive on it first then put it on the pan, didn't really think about it could have put some on the bolts as well and may not have had this problem. I'm gonna give it one more nudge with the ratchet but I don't really feel comfortable going any tighter might have to just live with it.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

You could still put sealant on the bolts. Just do one at a time.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:05 PM

You could still put sealant on the bolts. Just do one at a time. >>>>>>>

Great idea! Well there was one dripping very slowly and a couple of others with some build up around them, threw the ratchet on them and suprisingly they still had another good half turn in them. So xing my fingers here.