Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Shudder/Jerk on complete stop

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L V6
Default Shudder/Jerk on complete stop

I tried posting this over on NAGCA but after 2 weeks of no one responding, I decided to just come here too.

So, anyway, my Jeep started this annoying problem a few weeks ago...

If I come to a complete stop, like at a red light or stop sign, there is a shudder and jerk beneath the vehicle. But only if I don't ease into the stop. Like, say I'm coming up on an intersection, the light turns red fairly quickly and I have to stop hard. If I ease into a stop it doesn't do it, but it does sometimes do the shudder thing when I let off the brake pedal. Also, if I have do stop hard, I can most of the time prevent the shudder/jerk by letting off the brake the last foot or so before the full stop.

The only way that I really know how to describe it, is imagine you have 3-4 marbles or some kind of ball in a straight line, in an enclosed tube...when you tilt it one direction, the ***** all roll to the other side with a small delay between each one, then you can feel them all hit the end one by one in short succession.

I at first thought it was the gears in the transmission slipping back into place or something, but after doing some research here, over on NAXJ, and NAGCA, I think it might could be either an unlubed joint/bearing, a bad UJoint or some kind of bearing going out.

I'm not too terribly inclined when it comes to troubleshooting auto mechanics, so I've basically just been trying to do the symptom elimination method to narrow it down to a few possible causes. And now I'm here to ask others opinions/expertise on what you all might think it is.

I should also note: The transmission shifts beautifully through all gears, no noise, no jerks or anything.

VEHICLE SPECS:
2004 GC
4x4 42RE
4.0 I6
just over 49k miles
All stock no mods at all
Old 06-07-2010, 05:37 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0l

just a thought, have you checked your discs/and brake pads /shoes?, it could be a loose/bad uj,driveshaft, check for wear and movement, but i once had a similar feeling wich was bad brakes, binding and locking, so do check that as well
Old 06-07-2010, 07:52 AM

Model: Cherokee

Crack or warp disk will do it.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:30 PM

Year: 2004
Engine: 4.0L V6

wow! life totally got in the way there for a while lol.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll take it to the brake shop and have them look at everything.