Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Serpentine issue... please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 01:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.9L 360 ci
Default Serpentine issue... please help

My belt has always squeaked, but recently i removed my AC compressor and ran a shorter belt. Jeep runs great with it, but it still squeaks. Im sure my idler is part\most of the problem. The belt is a little loose. Lots of play but it WONT slide by hand. Should i just try a new idler? I was thinking with the new belt that i should swap a pulley, any pulley, for a slightly larger OD. I know this can be harder than it sounds, due to many variables in the options for aftermarket parts.

Any body with any good tips? Irish Spring wasnt making a difference.

I will post the Belt PN later tonight.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:39 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

First of all, get that crap off the belt! That works with V-belts, but not with serps. Second, replace the tensioner or go back to the original belt with a conversion pulley to replace the compressor. Get a good metal one, not a cheap Chinese plastic one. Also, look at the edges of the belt and if they are frayed, something is out of alignment. A good place to start looking is the power steering pump. On the back of the bracket there is a bolt that stabilizes it to the engine block. (on the 4.0) If that is missing, it can make the pump run slightly out-of-line.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 5.9L 360 ci

So... its been a minute since an update. I have the 5.2l V8. I have relaced the Idler, tensioner, and Alt. Still squeaking. I got a brand new Waterpump at the JY. not installed yet. Thats not a quick job. But i kind of feel like its coming from the Power steering pump. There looks like an Allen screw in the center of the water pump pulley. Does this pulley come off without removing the pump? I have a lot of greasy dirty residue from when the radiator was leaking Tranny fluid on the belt and slinging it everywhere. all the pulleys were coated. I cleaned everything as best i could. But i think theres residue in the bearing. i want to remove the pulley and clean the bearing. Thoughts? or should i just replace?

Also, i noticed some play and a knock when i shake the steering wheel. Got my son to help me locate it. The shaft in the steering box wiggles side to side. maybe a 1/16-1/8 of an inch. not much. Its not noticeable when driving. i cant move it by hand. Should i be worried with these 33" Goodyears? Mountain Vista Steering brace coming soon. Well not too soon. I have tons more repairs to address first.

And im replacing my VIC with a CB and switch board soon. Probaly wire my winch controller there.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

get a stethescope, some vacuum line, a long extension or a long screw driver and listen to each component to find the squeaking component instead of playing parts darts. it may also be helpful to take the belt completely off, run the jeep for a minute just to make sure the noise is accessory drive related. it should be fairly easy to find if you just listen to each component one at a time rather than standing over the engine trying to guess where you think the sound is coming from. good luck!
Old 01-18-2017, 04:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by marklar134
...playing parts darts...

LOL. What he said though- run it with the belt off for a minute when the engine's cool. Also- by shortening the belt didn't you change the direction of spin on one of the wheels? I had considered doing that on my XJ a while ago but it reversed my water pump or something like that...