Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Seeking for wisdom - Gr Cherokee gearbox problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7l V8
Default Seeking for wisdom - Gr Cherokee gearbox problem

Hi guys, greetings from Argentina. I wonder if you could avdice on this: a couple of months ago, I was on the highway with my 2000 G Cher V8, suddenly the engine revs started going up & down (I was doing about 70mph, and the revs went from 3,000 to about 4,000 and down again). Right after that, as I slowed down and the gearbox downshifted, it was abrupt and noisy -really scary-. I managed to get to destination and stopped the engine; when I started it later on and shifted to D, the engine stopped. I thought it was a clutch problem, so I towed the car to an official dealer. A few days later, the mechanic told me that the engine and clutch were perfectly OK, and that the scanner indicated nothing abnormal. He did nothing to the car apart from plugging it to the scanner and he returned it to me running perfectly. I´m not comfortable with this, as I assume that it could happen again and during a long trip.
Has anyone experienced anything like this before? Any advice? The guys at the mechanic think I´m a freaking lunatic as I keep insisting there´s something wrong and asking them to fix, so I can rely on my Jeep again! Your advice greatly appreciated.