Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Rubbing noise when turning

Old 02-20-2011, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Rubbing noise when turning

Just resently purchaced a 99GC LTM. 4.7l, QD. Auto. First thing went out was the tranny. Fixed now, but now have a noise in the front. When turning I get a noise that sounds like tire rub. No tire rub. Comes from the front. Checked all tire clearance, replaced diff oil with Royal Purple, checked all ball joints. Placed front end on stands and spun tires by hand while turning tire by hand, did not notice any binding or rubbing noise. Any Ideas? The noise and feeling is there regardless of left or right, forward or backward turning and is noticable when turned about half of its travel from center to full left or right.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:56 PM

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 318

Ur power steering pump may be started goin out ? Or ( if urs has them ) the cv style half shafts have a bearing in them, i busted mine and it kind of sounded like tire rub. Good luck
Old 02-21-2011, 12:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Engine: 4.0

Is the noise there while you are moving, or is it just when you are turning the wheel?
I have seen a couple othat the sttering shaft would make noise in the bushing thats right at the firewall (where the shaft goes through the firewall) you can usually spray some lube on the steering shaft right at the bushing and then turn the wheel back and forth to work the lube in.

Is it all wheel drive, if so are all tires matching, and very close in tread depth?
If all wheel drive AWD, the tires have to match or else the transfercase will have to slip to allow differences in tire diameters, it usually makes it sound like the front end and this condition acts a lot like a limited slip that chatters.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:16 AM

Update on issues. It is a Quardadrive, AWD.

I have just replaced a left bad CV Boot, cleaned, inspected, new greese, no obvious bad or worn part, replace right side CV Boot and repaced with new greese. Both sides looked in good shape.

Also the front tires were a different brand then the rear. Bought the vehicle this way, not my choice. Although the same size, I know different brands will be slightly different in size. I now have a new matching tire on all corners.

The noise only occures while turning. Turning about half way to full left or right it start to make noise, and gets louder the harder you turn to either left or right.

I will check the steering shaft at the firewall next.

Also replaced the steering damper today. I do not think that had anything to do with the noise, but was needed anyways.

Will test this week. Let you know. Thank for the replys.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

If it happened after u got the tranny fixed it's a cable making the noise. I got my tranny fixed n had a noise took it in n they knew wat it was right away they had to reroute the cable n ever since then no noise.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:56 PM

Hum!! I will have to take it back and have them check into it. Since i did not own the vehicle long enough before the tranny went out, I can not say for sure if it was there before. I did not notice it when test driving.

Which cable are u refering to.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:48 PM

I bought my car about a month ago, and didn't notice when buying it, maybe it didnt happen then? But when i turn right it makes a sound, but when turning left it doesnt. The sound is as if something is rubbing not sure what it is? I think it might be the plastic that was added to my bumper and i might take it off but if it isn't I dont know what it would be.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:39 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The Quadra-Drive system was optional on the 99 Limited and was equipt with the Vari-lock front differential. The noise may be originating in that unit, I believe it takes a special fluid also. Check wjjeeps.com for information.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:51 AM

Default Check Fliuds

as Dave1123 said. Replaced fluids in both diffs and tcase, noise gone. I first tried the royal purple, but did not get rid of all the noise. Then bought the over priced mopar additive, added it to the royal purple, all gone. Verify what version of drive system you have, quad vs. vari, as they may take different types of additive.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by 01XJCherokeeSport
I bought my car about a month ago, and didn't notice when buying it, maybe it didnt happen then? But when i turn right it makes a sound, but when turning left it doesnt. The sound is as if something is rubbing not sure what it is? I think it might be the plastic that was added to my bumper and i might take it off but if it isn't I dont know what it would be.
My 16 Cherokee Limited is doing the same thing We have only owned it a couple of weeks. Did you find a solution?
Old 10-09-2017, 12:02 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I only TAPPED a rock with the bumper of my WJ, and now the plastic inner fender liner rubs when I make a hard left turn. It seems to have inverted the curvature of the liner and now it has a hole worn in it so it makes a horrible noise when backing up with the wheels cut left.