Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Rough Country 3.5 Lift Problems.. Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 V8
Default Rough Country 3.5 Lift Problems.. Please Help

Hey guys... This is my first time lifting a jeep or truck of any kind and I ran into a few issues... I would also like to say that I did search but can't find anything...

Problem 1: after the lift was installed I noticed that after 35mph I get a vibrating feeling from under my feet... I brought it for a alignment and a balance and no change.. I also tried playing with the eccentric bolts on the lower control arms still no help..

Problem 2: After playing with the eccentric bolts I was standing in front of her having a heart to heart and noticed that the front axle has shifted more towards the passenger side about a inch inch and a half...

I'm at a loss here guys any help with be really appreciated...
Thanks in advance,
Joe

Edit: 1995 jeep zj 5.2 v8 full time awd

Edit2: removed front driveshaft and vibration still occurs... As far as the axle shifting I think that could be from drilling the new relocated hole for the track arm... Correct?

Last edited by Jeep95ZJ; 09-07-2012 at 02:11 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:28 AM

You need to look into an adjustable trackbar. It allows you to "center" the axle after the lift. It should also help with the vibration.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:32 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 5.2

Did you loosen all your control arm bolts and then retighten at ride height? If not there will be a lot of tension in the bushings. What does the track bar bushing look like? There is a lot more force on it so if it is even slightly worn it could cause a vibration as the axle shifts back and forth.
An inch and a half is a lot especially toward the passenger side, the natural tendency as you lift a GC is for the track bar to pull the axle toward the driver side. And especially if you redrilled for the trackbar mount, the isn't enough metal on it to move your axle that much, probably better recheck the track bar bolt to be certain it hasn't backed out.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:43 AM

Ok I put the same lift on my 94 zj and ran into the same problem. The best solution is stated above, get the adjustable track bar. Also did you redrill the track bar mount over like the instructions said? This will help compensate until you do the the adjustable track bar. On further note, I noticed that after a few months of installing the lift, I started to get the "death wobble" in the front end. This is caused by the track bar bolt vibrating and opening up the hole in the mount (at the axle) creating a shifting of the trackbar while driving and turning. I would suggest one of two things ( or both in my case). First drill out both the hole for the trackbar in the mount and the track bar sleeve to 1/2 inch and install a 1/2 inch grade 8 bolt. Also most adjustable trackbars have a better bushing that reduces the vibration caused normal driving and offroading. good luck and have fun!
Old 09-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Yea you need a new adjustable track bar. Redrilling doesn't always fix it. But you stated that you feel it in your feet? That would suggest driveline vibration. I.e. pinion angle bad.

A front end vibration (I.e. track bar /steering/front wheels) you will feel in your steering wheel

A rear end vibration (I.e. rear wheels/ rear axle/rear driveline) you will feel in your seat and feet
Old 09-08-2012, 07:19 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 5.2 V8

Ok well first off I'd like to thank everyone for the suggestions and ideas... Now for some results I cane up with so far...

1. The rear track bar relocate bracket only had one bolt in it, my friend that was helping me probably didn't realize your supposed to put 2 after the bracket is in he only put back the stock one... After I put both the vibes calmed down a lot but there is still a hint of them...

2. The same friend which I trusted to measure 3/4 inches for the new hole for the track bar up front I re measured today since the axle was so shifted and he drilled the new hole 1 1/4 away from stock so I ordered a adjustable track bar from rustys off road... (I'm kind of tight on cash now so I didn't order the CA's). So my plan is to re center the axle and take it from there...

Lmk if you have any more ideas thanks a lot..

~Joe
Old 09-08-2012, 07:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

replace all u joints if they werent done recently. After you lift the angles change to something they arent use to running at.