Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Reverse Giving Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Exclamation Reverse Giving Problems

I parked at Walmart a couple of hours ago. When I tried backing out in reverse, the Jeep acted as if it were in Park. Called my friend for help, said he'd be able to come around later today to push it out in Neutral. Also, since I bought the Jeep, it always starts off in 3rd gear and I can manually shift into 1st and 2nd without any problems. Also, Reverse seems to always work, but I noticed that my Jeep when parked at Walmart is on a very slight downward incline (front Jeep facing down). Could this have something to do with it not Reversing? Another thing is that sometimes when parked normally on flat surface (without any incline), I sometimes have to accelerate more than usual to get it to go into Reverse, and that does the trick, but it makes some kind of "snapping" sound. Not sure how to describe it.

Any information would be appreciated.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

So you know that you have problem but continue to drive it?
Have you checked fluid level and condition. Checked for codes to see why it had second gear starts? If it really is taking off in third which would be unusual than I would be willing to bet the direct clutches are burnt. Shift in manual low gear in 4x4 with your foot on the brake and see if you can make it slip.
Or if it will slip in third driving. If you take off the o/d the converter will stay locked in third gear and you will be able to load it good to see what its doing. If it slips in either instance, than the direct clutches are bad.