Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

retractable vs non-retractable seat belts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default retractable vs non-retractable seat belts?

i may just be changing the seat belts in my grand cherokee, since the ones that are on now were improperly installed, therefor not safe to use as the lower strap is rubbing on the plastic corner and fraying.. i may have to replace the seat belts

so are there any advantages to non-retractable seat belts besides simplicity? how fast are they to adjust to different size drivers?

also.. my seat belt attaches to a sliding mechanism to adjust the height.. i doubt this offers much support in a wreck, and my guess is this would just sheer off.. is there any way to remove this adjustable mechanism and just install the seatbelts upper section to the body itself?

im thinking of simplifying this grand cherokee one component at a time... so the power window motors may just be my next victim... or perhaps the power locks which i might add have prevented one door from even being used
Old 03-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Just That Awesome

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Jeep did not install the factory seatbelts in a design that will sheer in an accident. If you manage to sheer that adjustable mount in a wreck, you are going to be dead anyway.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:41 AM

Model: Cherokee

no, theyre not the origional seat belt installation.. someone installed them improperly, and because of this theyll probably end up being sliced off, or ripped apart in a collision, so ill most likely replace this idiotic job with the proper installation of retractable, or non retractable seat belts