Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

replaced crank sensor now putters and feels like it misses a cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 04:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6
Default replaced crank sensor now putters and feels like it misses a cylinder

Mine died completely one day after driving it in 102* weather with the AC on due to a Crank sensor. At first we thought it was plugs, wires, cap & rotor (since they were due about 600 miles prior) so we did those & the cam/pick-up sensor. Still nothing. Replaced the Crank sensor & it started right up. BUT, it gained this "miss". When just starting out at a light, stop sign, it drops RPM's & sounds like it didnt fire a piston... When we get up to about 50, it feels like the drivetrain is going to fall out the bottom of the thing, so obviously, we dont do that no more. A lack of better terms, it feels like it's binding up on the powertrain side somewhere. there is also what looks to be water in my oil might be due to a water hose that cracked and i replaced but i am unsure. I cant seem to figure this out. I replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, ran fuel injector through it, the pressure on the rail is normal according to a garage, it's throwing no codes, nothing comes up on scanners.... I'm at a complete loss. Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by cjjackson2400; 10-14-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by cjjackson2400
Mine died completely one day after driving it in 102* weather with the AC on due to a Crank sensor. At first we thought it was plugs, wires, cap & rotor (since they were due about 600 miles prior) so we did those & the cam/pick-up sensor. Still nothing. Replaced the Crank sensor & it started right up. BUT, it gained this "miss". When just starting out at a light, stop sign, it drops RPM's & sounds like it didnt fire a piston... When we get up to about 50, it feels like the drivetrain is going to fall out the bottom of the thing, so obviously, we dont do that no more. A lack of better terms, it feels like it's binding up on the powertrain side somewhere.
I cant seem to figure this out. I replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, ran fuel injector through it, the pressure on the rail is normal according to a garage, it's throwing no codes, nothing comes up on scanners.... I'm at a complete loss. Any help would be appreciated!
Nothing comes up on scanner at all ?
Old 10-14-2013, 06:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Recheck the firing order and make sure the plugs are gapped right.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

did you use a Mopar crank sensor? if not, you should have. from what ive heard, these jeeps only like Mopar sensors, and an aftermarket one could very well be your problem
Old 10-15-2013, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"looks like water in my oil"? sounds like maybe a blown head gasket. When you check plug gaps, look at plugs for residue and consider a cylinder pressure test, too.