Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Rearend sounds loose

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rearend sounds loose

Just wondering if someone could guide me in fixing our problem. About a yr ago the rearend of the jeep sound like bolts were loose when we went over our gravel driveway and bumps. I had my mechanic tighten something and it fixed the problem. The problem is back.

My mechanic is busy and told me he tightened the swing arm bolts. He said the rubber bushing are wearing out, but we should be able to tighten the bolts to make the noise stop. Can someone tell me what we are looking for to tighten. I have googled this and looked on youtube to understand it better, but I can not find directions.

We just want the noise to stop, so any help would be good. I think my wording is incorrect, so please advise me. He said it is still safe to drive, so we are.

Thank you for your time
Old 04-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

Mh guess is the bushings on the track bar are done. I know mine are. Not sure if you can get new ones to press in or not. Mine is just a toy so I am not ready to fix it in case I get a really good lift kit that has all that stuff. I put a cheesy bds lift in and the front is practically back to stock height. Think the springs were for a 4l

Go to rear tire and put your foot against the top and get it rocking. If you do it on the pass side you should see the trac bar move in the bolt if it's bad. Mine jumps around like there is none left.

Last edited by RRAM; 04-07-2012 at 07:50 PM.