Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Rear axle/ differential and driveline

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rear axle/ differential and driveline

Hello gentleman, and ladies, new here to the forum and couldn't find much on this specific issue, especially detailed. I have a 97 jeep grand cherokee Laredo with the v8, and over the years it's had its fair share of abuse. With that in mind, the weak axles and diffs have taken a beating as well. Over these years it has been on jacks with the rear axle removed 3 times to be exact, to repair the pinions and much more. Now, when put into drive from neutral (yes I come to a complete stop) the driveline/ pinions slip, and makes a cunk noise almost like it's knocking the slack out of the driveline. In 4wd, it is unnoticeable, but in 2 wheel it happens persistently. Even worse is when driving down the road and swapping gears at higher rpms (such as pulling out from a stop). The diff seal is shot and leaking oil. Have yet to drain and check oil for metal and check shafts for play, but it's almost a guarantee it's time for more work. If anybody and I mean anybody has knowledge, had this happen before, or is a technician and can shed light on why this keeps happening it would be awesome. It is a persistent problem but shows up out of the blue, and in doing so is due for repair within a few hundred miles. And also, it's not something that is a reprocussion of other issues, the axle itself has been swapped twice in those three times of work. As this being the fourth time, sucking up more money than the thing is actually worth, is it due for an upgrade of an axle or axles? Driveshafts and other parts. Suggestions on beefier pinions or axles and shafts? Could it be transfer case related? Start from scratch and buipd a bulletproof setup? Let me know, thanks. I do not want to be driving down the road and shear my pinion, or lock up on the highway. I know driving with broken parts, well, leads to more broken parts... and more money I don't have to throw at a pos 200k mile jeep on its deathbed. Thanks,
Titan

Last edited by Titan Greer; 01-29-2017 at 02:04 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

I probably won't be able to help much, but what kind of axle is it? could you explain a bit more about the other 3 issues you experienced?