Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Radio Antenna HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Question Radio Antenna HELP!

I have a '99 Cherokee Sport and the original antenna is missing, the base is still attached though. I can only receive FM stations and at that, very lousy reception. I want to be able to receive AM stations but all there is is static. I tried a experiment by using aluminum foil and a piece of coat hanger and put it into the hole of the antenna base. AM reception is great if I hold the coat hanger, but goes back to static when I let go. Does this mean that the original antenna is not grounded properly? Thanks for yall time.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:03 AM

Year: 98
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Here is what you need to do: Find as many metal coat hangers as possible, at least 15, and take all of the bends out of them. Then take and wire them together by twisting, and if you have a soldering gun then solder it, if not just use electrical tape. Then take a die or tap depending on if the base has a nut or bolt sticking out, and thread the end of the first hanger and twist is on. Now you should have about a 30' antenna. I would then bend it down and wire tie it to the roof rack and have the exxces sticking out of the back.

Or you could call around to the local junk yards and pick up the antenna for about $5.00. If you have the base this should be very simple to do.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:10 AM

Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by joethepartier
Here is what you need to do: Find as many metal coat hangers as possible, at least 15, and take all of the bends out of them. Then take and wire them together by twisting, and if you have a soldering gun then solder it, if not just use electrical tape. Then take a die or tap depending on if the base has a nut or bolt sticking out, and thread the end of the first hanger and twist is on. Now you should have about a 30' antenna. I would then bend it down and wire tie it to the roof rack and have the exxces sticking out of the back.

Or you could call around to the local junk yards and pick up the antenna for about $5.00. If you have the base this should be very simple to do.
This will surly be my next mod!