Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Radiator replacement on 2002

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Radiator replacement on 2002

Arggggghhhh......I'm ready to drive this SUV over a cliff. Plastic body radiator cracked stranding the wife and elderly Mom, want to replace it myself but can't figure it out and internet help so far has really been worthless....there's just not much out there for 2002

I've got a 2002 Jeep Cherokee Laredo with the 4.0 motor, 2 wheel drive. I can't get the front grill off.....four small bolts across top and three along bottom yet somehow or another its still attached to flimsy body trim which wraps around the lower front to the wheel wells. Three trim "screws" (???) along bottom just spin around so I figure screw it....leave the grill where its at. (maybe thats a problem that needs to be overcome)

I read something about two screws on top and voila pull the radiator out....the shroud which encompasses an electric fan has six screws....two of which in the middle are impossible to remove as the steering gearbox completely covers one with the shroud itself limiting access, while the other has the vehicle body itself curving across the bolt leaving no room for socket and wrench is limited by the shroud again....I assume the bottom two are accessible but haven't got that far....

So, any suggestions about how to get the grill out....this will make access to tranny cooling lines on passeneger side of the radiator much easier.

2nd, does the shroud/fan assembly come out with the radiator...thereby allowing for easy access to shroud bolts ? If so, what needs to be removed for the radiator/fan/shroud assembly to come out...the top crossmember ???

3rd, are the bolts hidden by the "air dams" alongside the radiator the ONLY bolts holding the radiator etc... ???

4th, is it worth buying a Chiltons or Hardsomethingorother manual to help with replacement or do they just not get that specific ???

I'm an old school shade tree mechanic but this Jap crap/plastic part stuff has got me ready to take a sledge to the problem.....

Thanks in advance...pictures can be sent via phone if necessary...PM me for details or my phone number if that would be helpful.