Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

problems with my 04 limited 4.7

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems with my 04 limited 4.7

not a big problem, but i got home tonight from being gone all week in the truck, and this week has been a very very cold week...its been getting down around -20 and wind chills around -30 and my jeep was sitting in an open field for a whole week in this crap...so, i get home late tonight, start her up to warm it up while i unhooked my trailer and plugged my truck in.

also, when i started it, it barely started which was to be expected...but i let it run for 15 minutes before i even got in it, and when i did get in it, all the gauges were exactly how they should be...well, bc of all the snow we got too while i was gone, it all surrounded my tires and bc of that, it took several minutes to get my jeep outa its parking spot...but, i get out and as i start to leave, the "check gauges" light comes on and the alt gauge was as low as it could be, and every time i pushed the gas, it just got lower....then i started smelling antifreeze...i stopped in a spot for a few seconds, then backed up to see if it was leaking any, and sure enough, in just that 10 seconds of it sitting there, there was a decent sized puddle of antifreeze in the snow....so i shut her off, and got a ride home...im going back tomorrow morning when its daylight so i can look better

but also, when i started it, that altinater was making a really bad clunking sound...but after it warmed up, it was still making it but not as loudly...i checked it out and the pully was turning freely from the looks of it, and the nut in the middle would turn a little bit to, and when it turned it made a nasty little sound

im thinking im going to need to buy a new altinater, and try to find this leak, hopefully its just a hose cracked or something from it getting warm to fast after being in the cold for so long.....also, in the morning, the mechanics should be there to, so maybe i can just bring it in the garage and have them look at it...

any ways, your thoughts?