Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Power steering issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Power steering issues

When I got in the jeep this morning and started it i noticed a whine coming from under the hood. I figured my PS fluid might be low. Since I was going to get gas anyways I figured id just top it off at the station. When I backed out my spot in the yard I had no power steering. As the jeep warmed up I got my PS back but it still whined. When I got to the gas station (couple miles) and checked it there was a lot of pressure in the reservoir, to the point that it blew PS fluid everywhere. The fluid is a milky brown and was over flowing from the reservoir. It was fine when I checked it a couple weeks ago. I checked it at lunch and it now is half empty.

It was cold this morning, 23*, could it have frozen? Not really sure what would cause that much pressure and it to go from normal to milky that quick. I havent been off road or anything lately and it was normal when I parked it tuesday night. Any ideas?
Old 03-17-2017, 01:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

we got temperatures below 0 here and i've had no issues whatsoever with the ps pump. what is possible is that water got into the system, either through condensation or other, and like you said caused it to freeze.

i would drain the system, try to fill it and bleed it properly, and if the issue persists get a new pump.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Cane
we got temperatures below 0 here and i've had no issues whatsoever with the ps pump. what is possible is that water got into the system, either through condensation or other, and like you said caused it to freeze.

i would drain the system, try to fill it and bleed it properly, and if the issue persists get a new pump.
This was my thought. I was hoping to avoid having to drain it, buuuttt, I guess I will.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:03 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

It's possible there was enough water in it to freeze in the pressure hose so the entire pump discharge was going back into the reservoir and foaming it.