Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here! ZJ (93-98), WJ (99-04), WK (05+)
All ZJ/WJ/WK specific tech questions asked here!

Possible TPS Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 AMC 242 I6
Post Possible TPS Issue

97 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ, 4.0L 6, Auto.

No problems when cold, as soon as she gets up to temp a hesitation occurs. Like she's not going into gear. Patience and persistence with the gas and she moves, at a glacial pace, until she shifts out of first then boggy through the rest of the gears. Bucks a little down shifting but not bad.

I checked fluids yesterday and everything was on mark and looked fine, tranny fluid was nice and clean, and felt good.
I have had an on and off CEL for a few months, code reader shows upper line O2 sensor. Would this cause the hesitation? I didn't think the O2 would cause it to bog this bad, that's why I am wondering if its the TPS or even the MAP sensor.
Crossing my fingers its not an intake manifold leak.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:29 AM

Model: Cherokee

had to log on for this one.have same car,year engine etc..had cel as well.it showed upstream o2 sensor and one other code that i dismissed as some thing i wasn't going to deal with (trans lock-up?).the upstream can and will give data to the pcm that are wrong and in my experience will mess things up.50 to 60 bucks replace the o2 sensor.but,go with the ntk.i went with the bosch and it screwed things further.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:45 AM

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 AMC 242 I6

I bought the replacement NTK a few months ago, when the CEL first went off but I had to put in a new Cat, and so I was hoping that would fix the 02 sensor problem. I really should have just thrown the new O2 sensor in when I had the exhaust torn apart but eh, it was already a long day. Guess I am going to have to cram my damn hand up there, does Chrysler rent out any mechanical midgets with tiny hands to fix some of this junk?
Old 12-22-2016, 10:41 AM

Model: Cherokee

put her up on ramps and go at it from underneath.might suggest getting the socket for the sensor.the wire connection is a pain and mine was messy as hell under there.after all that damn transmission went south at 275k.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:52 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Yeah, for some reason Jeeps don't like Bosch 02 sensors. Be glad you don't have a WJ with CA emissions. They have 4! AND 3 cats! I don't EVEN want to know what they all cost! My entire system except for the muffler and tailpipe has 200K miles on it. I've already welded 2 patches to the y-pipe.